Beginner's lizard? suggestions please

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shellfisch

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
My boss has 2 young children, about 4 and 6.
He is very taken with our Smooth Knob-Tailed Gecko's. He hinted that he might like to get his kids some geckos :shock:
I am horrified as I don't think Knobbies are for someone this inexperienced (my boss doesn't have a clue!)

Is there a lizard, like maybe a Beardie/Blue Tongue or something I can suggest to him that he gets instead?

All suggestions welcome, and thanks :)

Eastern or Central Beardies, Bluetongues (Eastern, Blotched), Pink tongues, Angle-headed dragons, Central netted dragons....etc

But geckos are fine aswell they should get what ever they like, kids don't usually hold reptiles longer than about 30sec & then they find something else to do...LOL!

No lizard should be given to a child as young as 6! If the parents supervise all holding and petting, and feed and look after the lizard themselves, then it would be fine. Can you just imagine the tail pulling and body squeezing and eye poking and all the terrible things kids do happening to a poor blueie or beardie? It makes me shudder!
But if your boss is willing to do all the work himself and never lets the kids hold or touch the reptile without supervision, then a bearded dragon would probably be the best.
Get him to read up about it and really do his research before even committing to the idea though.

Thanks for the help guys :D
If he wants to pursue the idea, I can at least guide him in a different direction.

heyy
im 15 and my 1st reptile was a blue tongue but i would reconmend central netted dragons there a great 1st reptile and look realy nice

Id hesitate to give a lizard to any children so young.. though it depends if he wants something they can touch and interact with (aside from tapping on the glass) or just look at. A gecko is really a Look-Dont-Touch pet.. same with your dragons if you want the children to be able to hold them. A dragon is likely to be dropped and run away.

Id say maybe a blue tongue skink.. they tend to be a little more patient with children provided there are some very solid rules about where it should and shouldnt be touched (no tail pulling, tongue-catching, how to hold it properly etc) Theyre also much less fussy with food. Me thinks your boss will end up being the one taking care of it though :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back