Being given a snake... whats the regulations?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kazray

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I have been offered snakes from extended family members who live in Arnhem Land, (they are Aboriginal) because they know I have a love of snakes. They want to go catch them for me. What would be the law in regards to this? I cant seem to find any info on the net. Going to ring NTPW on Monday but wondered if anyone could shed some light on the subject.

Arnhem land does have it's own laws. But Federal Law remains the same. You will find that all NPWS Laws fall under Federal.. so in that respect, I think you'll find it is still illegal. ;)

thanks for the input every1. will check with NTPW anyways. So far I have been able to disuade them from getting me some but if Im not careful I will offend them for not accepting gifts. Puts me in a hard place. Family thinks its doing right thing, as far as they are concerned its no different from giving me a puppy or piglet....

I think you will find that they are allowed to catch and keep the snakes, but for the snakes to pass into your hands they would have to be under a license. I think the snakes would also have to be under a license for them to cross state borders.

In WA you could get takers license, which is $1k a year and you can take any reptiles from the WA reptile list

That's insane! You can take as many as you want? And sell them to whoever you want? And any old Joe Bloggs could get one of these licenses if they had the $$$?

If so, that's a messed up law.

the.badger, I believe that the majority of captive reptiles in WA are wild caught. And any Joe Bloggs can get them if they had the $$$ in every other state too ;)

Interesting question. I think as Traditional Owners they are entitled to catch, keep or kill anything they want on their homelands......the problem comes with passing it on to you. Suprising that they want to go and catch them for you...most aboriginal people are really frightened of snakes...and I'm not sure what condition they would arrive in!

I wonder what Parks will have to say about this. There was a very eccentric woman up there many years ago who used to spend a bit of time hunting with Bining (Aboriginal people) in western Arnhem Land. She was reported one day for hunting Water Pythons with them and Parks intended to push for charges, The locals responded by giving her a Skin name and making her part of their extended family...hence avoiding any legal action........well anyhow that's how she related the story to me!

Would be even more interesting if they intend to supply you with things like Oenpelli Pythons!

The DEC in Western Australia don't just let anybody have a takers license. Just because you apply doesn't mean that you will get it. They try to manage it so that not too many snakes are being taken from one area and there are other restriction like snakes are not allowed to be taken from public roads and permission needs to be given to take from private property. Also records are kept for all catches and given to the DEC to help monitor how many reptiles are being taken and from where. Having said all that, it isn't a perfect system and exploitation can (and does) occur.

They try to manage it so that not too many snakes are being taken from one area and there are other restriction like snakes are not allowed to be taken from public roads and permission needs to be given to take from private property.

Do you by any chance know the logic (if any) behind not collecting from public roads?

Do you by any chance know the logic (if any) behind not collecting from public roads?

Not really. I can only assume that its tied in with having to get permission from land owners. Since there are no owners of public roads, other than the Queen and Government, permission is a little hard to come by. I'm sure that if a "Taker" has permission to get animals from land adjacent to a public road then they just wait for it to move on.

There should be others on here that can shed some more light on the subject. The information I have is what I have picked up from conversations with various catchers and the guys at the DEC. Someone with a takers license should know a lot more about it than myself.

i got offered an oenpelli rock python by one of dads friends he is married to one of the Arnhem Land elders daughters she said i could go up there with her and she would take me out to catch it then get a license and pass it on to me it sounded shifty so i politely declined but she said the offer is always open
so i might just check it out

My son is engaged to an aboriginal girl originally from jabiru/arnhem land way (her family still there) and I also have been given a skin name (Im not, my son not aboriginal) and yes most of them are terrified of snakes (cept file snakes which are considered yum...) A couple of my "Uncles" (the brave ones hehehe) have offered to get me any snakes I want but i tell them all "no, wait till i talk to rangers...." I dont want to be caught with illegally caught snakes and risk big fines/jail etc. A phone call to Parks n wildlife should clear it up. When I know the rules n regulations i'll be sure to let you all know.

Im interested to see what the outcome is, so im posting to subscribe to the thread

You need to post to subscribe? I always just do it through the "Thread Tools" at the top of the page.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back