Best day ever

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
congrats!!!!i am sure its very exciting

Look up Aaron. :) hehe. great birds Andrei. And all with 1 head. the blueys have straight away reverted back to outdoor behavior. they run and hide each time I go near them.

Oh, BTW for those who don't know. That last bird is an exotic!!! Lucky aviculturalists. :cry:

nice pics! Sorry to hear bout the diamond eggs, damn heat, the weather's been so erratic lately ey. Very nice coastal hatchies there too, congrats! :D

peterjohnson64 said:
Look up Aaron. :) hehe. great birds Andrei. And all with 1 head. the blueys have straight away reverted back to outdoor behavior. they run and hide each time I go near them.

Oh, by the way for those who don't know. That last bird is an exotic!!! Lucky aviculturalists. :cry:

yes it is an exotic and the good part about it is its legal and you don't even need a licence to keep one and you are also allowed to export it overseas if you want to.

thats unbelivable about the blueys they were so enquisitive at my place may be a bit of fresh grass and outdoors changed them. they used to come to the front of the enclosure everytime i was near it.

pythonrockchik1 said:
nice pics! Sorry to hear bout the diamond eggs, damn heat, the weather's been so erratic lately ey. Very nice coastal hatchies there too, congrats! :D

thanks
unfortunatly not much can be done about it now more luck next time
thanks agian
cheers
andrei

African Plumheads were $1,000 each in 1978. How much are they now Andrei? I know this is not herp stuff but it may help understand what happens to prices over time as availability increases.

Sorry Peter i have to correct you there they are plum-headed parrots as you said but they are native to India and Sri Lanka, Pakistan and few other places around there. Couple of years ago they went down to as low as $250 for the pair and every one sort of started to get rid of them thinking that they will go down even further but now they are very hard to find especilly breeding pairs last one that i've seen about 5 months ago went for $450 for the pair. its like everything in birds people breed what brings good money and than when price droppes they get rid of it and get something else and few years later prices going up and everybody wants it.
i hope that answers your question
cheers
andrei

Yes mate it does. But are they still the same ones as the plumheads I remember form back in the 70's? If they are then it demonstrates that if you have an expensive animal that can breed easily (these things are not macaws) then prices will certainly drop over time. The only problem then is that nobody wants them (as you stated). However, I think it was Boa mentioned in another post, different colour morphs of common birds still bring good money (again, until they are more common). White Cockatiels being the classic example there. they were also hundreds of dollars each in the 70's.

However, I believe that hard to breed birds, like Macaws and black cocky's are still holding their own? Is that correct. I haven't sort a bird price in years. Its just that it may give a bit of an insight into what will happen to herp prices as our hobby matures to be like the bird hobby.

i would say they are same plum headed parrots as you mentioned.
yes Macaws are still cost a lot. for a baby blue and gold you'll be looking at around $7000 each. colour mutations always bring good money for people especialy if its new mutation. i remember 3-4 years ago some one addvertised a violet Indian ringneck the price was $50000 each two years ago i saw one for sale for $18000 each and now from what i heard you can buy one for around $10000 each and it will go down more. as new colours becoming more available other more istablished colour are going down in price. the only problem at the moment with birds and mutations is that more and more people are stopping from keeping natives and going into exotics and they colour mutations because thats where the money is or they keep exempt native birds and they mutations and there are few that are exempt . people also can't bother with licence as the rules have been changed few years ago. I have couple of friends that have birds shops and they are finding it hard to move most of native birds which require a licence. i have nothing agains exotic and i do like some of them but i also enjoy natives as well ( perhaps even more ) and out of my parrots i only have 3 pairs of exotics. i would keep more exotic birds but unfortunatly the ones i like are out of my price range.
cheers
andrei
it all comes down to personal choice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back