Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
when did i describe one?
sorry must have been unclear

First post mate haha

hey, buying new lizard and id like something that has a good temperament and doesnt mind being handled and can stay out of the cage without any problems. Something like an iguana would be ideal but obviously not a viable option.
-likes being handled
-largish
-nice appearance (colour/crests etc)
-not a beardie

Any ideas?
cheers!

Everything except for the 'not a beardie' is a description of a beardie. Any reason why you don't want a beardie?

First post mate haha

Everything except for the 'not a beardie' is a description of a beardie. Any reason why you don't want a beardie?

oh! hahaha i see what you mean. :p
i dunno they seem a bit generic, lots of people have them. i know its a bad reason but still...i want something unusual. God, i wish exotics were legal

well then get an eastern bearded dragon, they are not so popular but both mine handle fine, my girl has a nice yellow/ creamy colour.

water dragons are hard to tame and don't handle very well unless you have one since its a baby and put lots of time and patients into to it just like a monitor.

pygmy beardies and central netteds are nice but don't grow as big.

boyds r definalty not for a newbie and don't handle well either.

Thanks guys :) I think that dragons have to be one of the best reptiles to keep - not that I'm biased or anything :p

You could always try some of the skinks (i.e. Cunninghams, Pink Tongue or Blue tongue morphs) as they are a bit different.

shinglebacks are awesome awesome awesome lizards.

Attachments

• sunning snoozy small.jpg
    sunning snoozy small.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 93
shinglebacks are awesome awesome awesome lizards.

What makes them so they so great? I've only ever seen in pictures or on display at expos etc. I know nothing about them but you must REALLY love yours :) Could you please share how they are awesome. Nice pic too.

hey, buying new lizard and id like something that has a good temperament and doesnt mind being handled and can stay out of the cage without any problems.

What do you mean by "can stay out of the cage without any problems"? Most animals that are okay to be handled will be out of the cage when you handle them, however I wouldn't say they stay out of the cage without problems. If you're suggesting letting a lizard roam free, it can be risky or dangerous. It doesn't take much for it to get lost or squashed. I know I've seen videos of people letting animals wander around the house with supervision, but you really have to pay attention and I wouldn't recommend it. They're fast, and they're incredibly adept at hiding. They're also boot-sized. I think there was a thread recently where a python got stuck in a sub-woofer, and he had to put the sub in it's enclosure.

Sorry if that's not what you were suggesting, I just wanted to be cautious.

What makes them so they so great? I've only ever seen in pictures or on display at expos etc. I know nothing about them but you must REALLY love yours :) Could you please share how they are awesome. Nice pic too.

yep, i love mine to bits!!
a few reasons,...
Theyre always on the go, no idea why theyre called sleepy lizards, lol,..really interactive, love a good pat and never hesitate to give me a good nudge when the rubbing hand stops rubbing.

They dont have excessive heat requirements so they can do alot of roaming around without getting sick. (i fenced off my dining room and leave their cage open for them and they always remember to put themselves back in their tank when theyve finished exploring.)
Theyre clever, half the dining room is covered in newspaper, they always take themselves over there to pee/poo.

they play in the 'teepees' on fresh newspaper day, its so cute.

and best of all, they live happily in a group, not something that can be said about many lizards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back