best substrate for beardies

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

best beardie substrate

• sand (play sand)

Votes: 6 8.7%
  • sand (red desert sand)

Votes: 13 18.8%
  • kittie litter

Votes: 5 7.2%
  • newsapaper

Votes: 14 20.3%
  • fake grass (forget wat it was called)

Votes: 11 15.9%
  • tiles (stick ons)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • tiles (tile stuff the hard 1s)

Votes: 11 15.9%
  • none of the above

Votes: 9 13.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone else used Sugar Cane mulch??? The look of newspaper is giving me the willies!! The snakes bore under it and scruff it all over the place and in all honesty I feel like I'm looking into a waste paper bin :lol:

Yeah, yeah newspaper is cheap and absorbant and easy to replace when soiled but my God it looks sooooooo incredibly CRAP!!! :p

Sugar Cane Mulch. . . Interesting.

I am using Junk Mail. . .Good for something.

Thinking about using sealed cork tiles, any one done this, or can give advice.

Im using the fake grass stuff at the moment :) But my beardies are itties right now... I was thinking of using sand when they grow up... I cant imagine cleaning adlt beardie poop off the fake grass! I currently have three little darlings... Maynard, Lacey and Chico (my praises to who ever can figure all three references)... Maynard I am certain must be male... he just does his business where ever he pleases :p But Chico and Lacey both purposefully move from where ever they are and run to one of the corners to do their business.
Im in Brissy... heating is probably less of a problem for me. In one corner i have a water bowl surrounded with river pebbles, the other corner towards the back I have a heat rock, the opposite side I have the UV and heat with a resin log and lots of fake plants lol... at night i have a black light on. Just for warmth and cause I wanted it lol
With everything being fake I found it easy to pick up the poops once a day and once a week give it a good clean. But... that would probably be a lot of work for someone working or studying fulltime.

Ari

btw Im liking the fake grass... I take the resin log out and throw a bunch of crickets in there, no where for them to hide :) Plus the dude at bunnings gave me the remainder of the roll when I asked for merely half a meter xD So I have a few meters of fake grass in my cupboard. Have two pieces cut up for this enclosure and have heaps to spare for my future planned enclosures. Just swap the grass over once a week... take the old one spray with repti-kleen leave for a bit then hose off ^_^ let it dry then put it away somewhere for the next weekend. I think its easymode... but that may be because I have kept and bred all sorts of animals and reptiles are just so much easier.

I use 3/4 rough tile elevated 3 inches off the floor and 1/4 sand and loam/brickies clay mix (3 inches deep) for my enclosure. The enclosure size is 4x2x2.5 and my dragon is hardly ever on the sand, the feed bowl is also on the tiled side of the enclosure so there is no sand contamination of his greens/vegs I also have the MVB on the tiled size to maximise heating of the enclosure.

I did go and try and find some fake grass for our little babies. My Grandad owns a carpet shop on the gold coast. But there wasnt any, but i picked up a piece of carpet, thin stuff, they love running on it and when they go, i just clean it up. And its fine.
Its also great for keeping the warmth in.
Its only a scrap piece i picked up for nothing,
I found the newspaper boring and they didnt like it. And the sand, they were eating it, so i thought wasnt good. But the carpet, they love it.

I went to clark rubber looking for fake grass that was not radioactive green, (does not suit dragons complexion). They had some brown vinyl that might not be to bad, (if a bit 70's retro)

Do you think it would work.

Anyone else used Sugar Cane mulch??? The look of newspaper is giving me the willies!! The snakes bore under it and scruff it all over the place and in all honesty I feel like I'm looking into a waste paper bin :lol:

Yeah, yeah newspaper is cheap and absorbant and easy to replace when soiled but my God it looks sooooooo incredibly CRAP!!! :p
i use sugar cane mulch in my blue tounges enclosures ..

sand (red desert sand) Although i wouldn't mind paper as the sand is a prick to clean especially if you have alot of herpes. Although i hate the look of paper.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back