Best way to defrost

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bpb02

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
As above what is the best way to defrost mice/rats?

take out of freezer, put in fridge for a few hours, then 5 secs in the micro wave and bam snake food +)

take out of freezer, put in fridge for a few hours, then 5 secs in the micro wave and bam snake food +)

Very bad information young fella!!!

You DO NOT use a microwave its extreemly dangerous as the inside temp of the rodent is far greater than the outside.
There are several ways, Eg defrost in hot tap water or place in a plasic bag in hot tap water or the method we use fresh killed.

i second beeman, do NOT use a microwave!! all sorts of bad nightmares arebound to occur.

the best way ive found, is (obviously if theyre adult rats or mice, the pinkies and weiners dont need so much defrosting time) pull out your rat at night, leave it in the fridge to defrost overnight, then the next day, when youre ready to feed, place it in a zippy bag or strong plastic bag, and run it under warm-hot water. that way the animal doesnt become waterlogged or anything. and the water doesnt need to be HOT HOT, we're not trying to cook the little things, just bringing them to room temperature :)

and viola! snake food in the safest form.

I had been told by someone that defrosting them in water is bad as it can cause the bacteria to build up or something.... didnt really make sense to me as the rat isnt actually in the water. I had also been advised to use the microwave, carefully tho as the rats and mice have a nasty habit of 'popping'

Been defrosting them in buckets off hot tap water for years with no ill effects When having to defrost big numbers of them it's the only way to go.I also don't bother using plastic bags and feed them off wet as the extra water is good for the snakes.

Good to know and have that cleared up before its time for the first feed...... :?

Been defrosting them in buckets off hot tap water for years with no ill effects When having to defrost big numbers of them it's the only way to go.I also don't bother using plastic bags and feed them off wet as the extra water is good for the snakes.

i find the head is the part that takes the longest to defrost so I always just hold the head in between my fingers for a few seconds and just make sure that it doesnt still feel "cold" and then feed, it might feel warm initially so hold it long enough to make sure its defrosted all the way through......but just a bucket full of hot water will do the trick.

Just dont let the missus see a bunch of rats defrosting in a bucket....they generally dont like that!

The method I have successfully used for years is to place frozen rats and mice on a plate that is placed on top of a bowl of warm water, which speeds up the defrost time over a few hours. Mice take about 2 hours to thaw, whereas large rats take up to 4 hours. Pinkies take 40 minutes. This method is preferred as I don't like feeding snakes sopping wet food items, that are placed directly in warm water. I have a healthy collection of (breeding) reptiles, and my pythons have been maintained in prime condition using this method for many years, so I have no concerns about a thawing rodent turning toxic (due to bacteria build up) in such a short space of time. It takes almost a day at high temperatures before a dead rodent is no longer a viable food item (and even then, photographic evidence proves wild pythons will take long dead carrion).

I am SO not looking forward to the first feeding... I swear all of you will hear me squealing as i am prepping the pinkie.... the actual feeding im sure i will be fine with, but David when you said to hold the head between you fingers, my stomach just turned.

Ozzie... I am liking the idea of the plate on top of the warm water... just have to ensure it is well labelled LOL!!

I used to defrost in water but had a couple pop when constricted and made quite a mess. Now I place them on top of the viv above the heat lamp on cardboard or paper and covered, fuss free.

heat lamps are awesome to use. but i currently dont have one to use for defrosting atm... totally recommend that too though :D

bondy - the will pop if they are defrosted in hot water for too long - it seems to weaken the thinish stomach skin if they are in there for too long. Just try pulling them out a bit sooner and you should be fine.

blondie - you get used to it after a while.....its no worse than cleaning up a big stinky messy poo after its eaten the rat you have held in your hand! =)

Thanks for that David..... so much to look forward to...,.

Thawing Method for Frozen Rats and Mice

There are many ideas and 'techniques' for thawing Frozen Rats and Mice (FRM). Below is a method DoLittle Farm recommends as best practice to maintain food quality and palatability.
  1. Remove required amount of food from the ziplock pack. Reseal the pack and return to freezer.
  2. Place a single piece of 2-ply, unscented paper hand towel on a heatpad, heatcord or other warm surface (like a VCR that is on). Place the rat or mouse on top of the paper towel. It is a good idea to do this close to your pet reptile's cage, as he will smell the food and become quite excited.
  3. After an appropriate amount of time, turn the rat or mouse over and thaw the other side. Click here for a thawing time chart
  4. Once the rat or mouse is thawed and warm to the touch, check the abdomen for any frozen or cool spots by rolling around between your fingers and thumb.
  5. When satisfied the rat or mouse is thawed and warm (approx 38oC - close to your body temperature), offer to your pet reptile as soon as possible.
A few thoughts:
  • Once thawed, the longer you wait until you feed, the lower the food quality as gut bacteria has already started digestion again.
  • Do not use warm water to thaw. It can poach the food (resulting in split skin and guts everywhere) or can wash the scent of the rat or mouse away, leaving it unpalatable.
  • Do not use the microwave. Cooking of the rat or mouse can occur (if it doesn’t explode first!), or you could burn your pet reptile's esophagus with excessive heat.

I put them in a bucket with water that I can just put my hand in for a second or so before hurting. I change the water several times over about an hour period then feed them to my snakes. I always dab them (rats) clean on a towel before feeding and let them cool for about 30 seconds before giving them to the snakes.

For pinkies, I use water just above tepid and leave them in for about 10 minutes.

I've been doing this for decades with no ill effects. I've also never had a problem with fussy feeders using this method - the warmth of the food really gets them going.

Thawing Method for Frozen Rats and Mice

There are many ideas and 'techniques' for thawing Frozen Rats and Mice (FRM). Below is a method DoLittle Farm recommends as best practice to maintain food quality and palatability.
  1. Remove required amount of food from the ziplock pack. Reseal the pack and return to freezer.
  2. Place a single piece of 2-ply, unscented paper hand towel on a heatpad, heatcord or other warm surface (like a VCR that is on). Place the rat or mouse on top of the paper towel. It is a good idea to do this close to your pet reptile's cage, as he will smell the food and become quite excited.

That will take A long time lmao especially if its a XXL rat your trying to defrost

oh gross, that would stink beyone belief... and cook in some parts only to be cold in others. way to bring on a bacterial explosion.
your family must LOVE being next in the microwave after feeding day.

This is what I do: out of the freezer and into the fridge, when it is FULLY defrosted ( between 6 and 24 hrs depending on size of the prey) then i allow at least half and our at room temp before going in a sandwich bag and in hot tap water, not the hottest tap water, but you want the rodent to be a similar temp it would be if it was live, i have an IR temp gun so if i was to measure it i'd be somewhere in the 30's degrees C. the whole way through of course.
too hot and your snake will split the rodents guts open on the strike.... that is disgusting , but not as disgusting as the next 10 mins while your python constricts around the gut spilling corpse.
i have left rodents in a fussy snake's enlcosure before, and at some time during the night it has been eaten, i doubt by then it was very warm at all, but you will want to insure that it has reached being warm and all defrosted or you will be in for a world of hurt.
worth noting i think... once a food item has been heated it is not ok to refeeze it if it is not eaten. throw or bury it in the graden, it's over.
i like the pelt of the prey to be wet from water to aid hydration also.
I hope this helps, because if you do choose to microwave your snakes food, I won't be there to appreciate how impress whoever you live with will be.
ren

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back