Best ways to get rid of RI?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Very good for worming and removing gut parasites from wild-caught reptiles...

Jamie

[h=3]GENERIC NAME: metronidazole[/h] [h=4]BRAND NAME: Flagyl[/h] DRUG CLASS AND MECHANISM: Metronidazole is an antibiotic effective against anaerobic bacteria and certain parasites. Anaerobic bacteria are single-celled, living organisms that thrive in environments in which there is little oxygen (anaerobic environments) and can cause disease in the abdomen (bacterial peritonitis), liver (liver abscess), and pelvis (abscess of the ovaries and the Fallopian tubes).

Ahah! Thank you Michael - I stand corrected :)! However, I also stand by my assertion that it is used primarily for gut-related problems, and these days largely as an anti-parasitic, and is especially in cases of amoebic infections. I've never heard of it being used for treating RI... but then again, I stand to be corrected lol!

Jamie

Jamie, it's primarily a human drug. Parasitic infections are often associated with infections and Flagyl is effective against both. I have never heard of Flagyl been used to treat IR in reptiles either but it wouldn't surprise me if some less "reptile savvy" vets would use it.

I know it's primarily a human drug, (I had Giardia once from drinking Sydney water, and I think it was treated with Flagyl if I recall?) but I have had it prescribed for amoeba infections in snakes on the couple of occasions in 40+ years a snake has picked up a nasty diarrhoea-type of infection, where the faecal matter smells foul and is copious and liquid. Swabs or stool samples have invariably shown pathogenic amoeba to be the cause of the problem. As I understood it, the bowel becomes inflamed (or "infected") by the amoeba, so once the inflammatory agent is removed, the inflammation settles down.

Jamie

What I meant, some less reptile savvy vets would use it to treat IR just because it is an antibiotic. It is an excellent anti-parasite agent against amoeba, giardia trichomonas and other flagellates and ciliates.

Well. Now I have F10 and I am administering it daily via nebulization. There is nothing wrong with my husbandry thanks! I admit I have been misting him too much and this is a direct consequence. But it does not mean I am doing anything else wrong. My feeding and checks and balances are absolutely fine and regular, he is just a picky snake and doesn't eat too much. I am experienced and I am hilly educated on the subject of reptile sickness and husbandry/keeping, I have worked in several reptile businesses and with breeders who value and respect my opinion. THE POINT OF THIS THREAD WAS TO ASK WHICH ANTIBACTERIAL AGENT IS BEST FOR TREATING UPPER RESPIRATORY INFECTION, not "please tell me how to look after snakes, I'm a moron." so stop trying to school me on things I already know and practice. I have identified and fixed all of the current problems with his enclosure and my husbandry. The problem, is fixed, THANK YOU

If his condition worsens in the first five days of treatment, I will take him to the vet, but I've caught it early and it's not going to kill him. I'm just hoping he doesn't get any worse and trying my best to fix it. Goddamn, you'd think posting on here would get u support, not have rude know-it-alls question your ability as a reptile keeper.

Last edited:
A snake IMO does not develop running mucus with no heat for a week, you have been spraying a morelia twice a day which "maybe" only need it to assist with a dry shed/slough every two months (approx.) and this snake hasn't eaten for a while in peak eating season and you are not doing any checks and balances, well l will say it, "you need to tighten up on your reptile keeping" and to top it off you are going to a vet soon, and one final point "everybody" should have the name and number of a good, local if possible and not as you and several others do, come on these forums, mostly on a weekend asking where the nearest herp vet is "l will get to him soon"....holey schmoley....
......solar 17 (baden)

Hey mate, I take it just by reading this, you have never traveled to northern Australia either in N.T or Q.L.D because if you had, you would no it is very humid and muggy... And how do we create humidity in a captive environment? You mist it!!! Yeah, 2 times a day for a Darwin is a bit much, but a lil spray a day to keep the humidity up is needed. 'reptile freak95' actually happens to live near myself and I can tell you there is nothing wrong with his husbandry skills for reptiles, my Darwin is in top shape and environmental wise is quiet the same.
- 'Reptilefreak95' there are two local vets near by and I'll just say this, for respitory infection you don't need a herp vet, most vertebrates can get it and they treat it just the same if not better. Just isolate it from your other reptiles until it has cleared up and maybe for 2 three weeks after that for it is contagious.

No such thing as respect any more, apparently. Any advice from some of these "know-it-alls" should be listened to imo.

Good luck with your snake.

Last edited:
i probably know a lot more about snake ecology, biology, behaviour, diet, and captive managment than most of the people on here.
Quote taken from another thread where you proclaim to be one of the best.
Mate if your so knowledgeable why ask for help but more importantly why did this occur in the first place. Your husbandry is wrong.

Advice from these know-it-alls is already a known thing to me and I don't need the likes on these unnamed individuals or you questioning my abilities as a reptile keeper. Far out, one problem and apparently I'm the worst reptile keeper on the face of the planet, yea I made a mistake, but everybody does. I live in Canberra, it's cold and dry, RI is inevitable at some stage regardless, whether it be in winter or not. The conditions here make keeping sub-tropical species all the more difficult. My abilities as a herpetoculturist are more than adequate and I am more than capable of keeping the species I own and more. I had a dilemma of which antibacterial to use and "jarrod-h" helped me come to a conclusion, and for that I am thankful, I wanted to know one thing and one thing only, for that was all I needed, not any rude people telling me I need to improve my already meticulous methods of reptile husbandry.

I am experienced and I am hilly educated

I can see that.

THE POINT OF THIS THREAD WAS TO ASK WHICH ANTIBACTERIAL AGENT IS BEST FOR TREATING UPPER RESPIRATORY INFECTION

Hmm...

O Just wondering if it could be anything other that RI and the best way to treat whatever it is? I'm thinking of taking him to a vet soon but I don't know any snake vets in the act. Amy help will be appreciated. Thank you.

It's called a typo moron, I'm using an ipad, it's pretty irritating to type. And I was also asking for any better explanation as to what the problem is and specific reptile vets, I do not know any, your immature and daft comments are not needed so but out. Cheers

It's called a typo moron, I'm using an ipad, it's pretty irritating to type. And I was also asking for any better explanation as to what the problem is and specific reptile vets, I do not know any, your immature and daft comments are not needed so but out. Cheers

I'm not the person who just called some of the most experienced keepers in Australia tossers.

Enjoy your stay on APS.

Guys, :/ please no need for fights
reptilefreak95- stop whilst your ahead, you have gotten the information needed to hopefully make your snake a happy camper :)
so stop the convo and affective comments :/
Crystal..Discus- loven the dp :) haha ( I like aves)

Lets end this thread with my happy post and everybody leave with a smile? :)

There's no need to get so angry. Baden and Jamie are not "unnamed individuals" and anyone that knows anything at all can tell you their advice is always top notch. I think it's just bewildering to some people that anyone would mist any carpet when it's not necessary, and also keep it without heat for a week. Wet and cold will definitely lead to an RI, and it's shocking this isn't obvious.

It is obvious, I previously admitted to my mistake, but the problem is rectified and there is no need for further discussion, and I never said their advice wasn't good, it was just insulting in this case to assume that I am as incapable as you all seem to think.

Thank you all for trying to help, I am sorry for offending most if not all of you, I am just frustrated that my little buddy is unwell, and I will bid you all good day. I apologise for my rudeness. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back