Best Wood materials

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tahra

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I'm looking to add some things to my enclosure made from wood for climbing purposes etc. what is the safest wood to use? Ill be getting it from Bunnings.. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

How about branches?

But what is the risk of parasites, ticks in my area that could harm my python or termites that could eat my enclosure away... The ones from the pet store are around $60-$100 each. I'm not paying that

Just go outside and find some nice branches :D Looks sssssssssooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much better! :D

- - - Updated - - -

Just soak the wood in F10 or bleach and water then dry them out. Gets rid of all the nasties and kills them unlikey to bring them back. And branches are free :D I'v used them for my beardie for 6 years and he has not had one single poblem and neither have my snakes :)

Broom handles cost a couple of dollars ea and are sterile . Just trim them to a tight interference fit and you don't even have to screw , nail or glue .

Just go outside and find some nice branches :D Looks sssssssssooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much better! :D

- - - Updated - - -

Just soak the wood in F10 or bleach and water then dry them out. Gets rid of all the nasties and kills them unlikey to bring them back. And branches are free :D I'v used them for my beardie for 6 years and he has not had one single poblem and neither have my snakes :)

bleach?!!! Serious?!!!

- - - Updated - - -

Broom handles cost a couple of dollars ea and are sterile . Just trim them to a tight interference fit and you don't even have to screw , nail or glue .

I like this idea !! Thanks!!

Bleach and water, dry and then soak for another 24hours in plain water. Forgot to mention that :oops:. Oh, anf you only use a tad of bleach, literally a few drops ;)

If you want branches I just soak them in a hot bath then dry in the sun . Chemicals are more harmful than insects .

Well I do have a proper reptile chemical cleaner for the enclosure that I use. Maybe just soak them in that watered down with boiling water instead?

- - - Updated - - -

Bleach and water, dry and then soak for another 24hours in plain water. Forgot to mention that :oops:. Oh, anf you only use a tad of bleach, literally a few drops ;)

That does sound a bit better haha!

I just scald the wood in the bath tub dry it out all done, I also peel the bark of before doing the scalding.

if your really worried about ticks and so on just put the branch in the freezer for a day and then in boiling hot water. should do the trick

If you use bleach with something, you can also post treat it with sodium thiosulfate, which can be obtained from bunnings. Again, only a bit, but hey, if it's safe for turtles.

FYI sodium thiosulfate is the active ingredient in dechlorinating agents. These can also be used to remove excess bleach.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back