BHP Breeding

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Merlin1

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Im looking to breed my Black Headed Python but do they have to be separated (the female and male) and put together during the cooling period???

Thanks Merlin1

i live on the central coast NSW but will it affect the way they breed??
I was commenting on hnn17's post about you missing the season, if you were in the northern hemisphere the seasons are opposite to ours. Maybe you need to do some reading possibly get a book called "Keeping and Breeding Australian Pythons" to get your head around the basics of breeding and maybe have a go next season. Do you usually keep your BHP's together?

maybe try breeding something easier first before doing bhp's, they aren't the easiest and getting babies to feed is a real challenge. you need to do allot more research and plan how your season may go, my pair bred last season but this season my female was not interested.

Im looking at buy one at the moment so I mightn't even be able to next season but I am breeding some coastal carpets at the moment and they have had a few small clutches :)

Merlin...there is NO WAY in the world I would keep BHP's together unless for breeding. Take this from me as a warning. They eat other reptiles in the wild.

When I started keeping I kept 2 together I found out the worst way possible when one of them started trying to eat the other....I managed to save the one being eaten and I take extreme cautions when they are out and about. even breeder age carpets can turn on each other when housed together I just don't do it at all. they have an enclosure for themselves. my big girl has turned on males being put in with her for breeding season (female cape York carpet) my female bhp she attacked my male every time I put him in with her this season even though they bred for me last season. I think he was only peacefully in with her for a week till she had enough. they can be lovely to handle if they are captive bred but they are temperamental when breeding season comes around. not the same snake. I have also heard of females eating the males if they are much smaller then them etc.

get some books and do some research first. and go for it if you feel you are up for it. :) I love bhps.

Keep them separately all the time throughout a year except when putting them for mating. Season them first well (I have no idea how do you do it down there at all, ehehhehe), and then they will do the work:)

Make sure they are the right size. Especially the girl.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back