bicarb soda and vinegar?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
so using bicarb and vinegar will be a fairly quicken and painless death for the mice?
Thanks everyone for all your help.

So do they just go to sleep and feel nothing or do they really choke?
I just cant stand bashing them on the head....

they basicly suffocate, Its like putting a bag over your head and breathing till all the oxygen is CO2 and you cant breathe anymore. I tried it out on a coke bottle once, kept breathing till i had used all the oxygen then every breath i took did nothing. In saying that it is still the commonly used method and i dso prefer it over bashing but i have started to use that recently.

The worse thing with bashing is that i dont always kill it the first go...and their nerves still make them twitch...its horrible...Co2 seems more "humane" i think. JMO

Just finished doing 9 small mice ( first time ). Did a test run ( with no mice ) and made a little mess (wet), a little fine tunning and worked good. Used less than a half a litre of vinegar and bugger all bi-carb. They died fairly fast (stopped moving after about 30-40 seconds), as for did they suffer well I wasn't in the container with them so I can't answer that 100% but they just seem to fall asleep. Now I have 9 little bits of snake food ready to go. As it was my first attempt and things went well I will fine tune even more and will be doing it again, cheap, fast and from what I witnessed humane. All that been said ...Take one mouse, + CO2 or bi-carb & vinegar and you have one mouse dead due to lack of oxygen in its lungs. Take one snake + one mouse and you have a one dead mouse due to lack of oxygen in its lungs.

If u r going to suffocate them, you could just put them in a small sealed container then the CO2 makes itself.

Thanks

heres my bicarb-viniger set up i've been using for years.cheap ,effective and not messy.you need-
-a reasonably good quality plastic bag(not a thin woolies one)
-a shoelace
-a piece of hose(3/8 fuel hose works well)
-1 airtight plastic container
-plastic funnel
-10mm plastic knitting needle
shouldn't cost more then $10.drill 2 holes in the plastic container for the hose and funnel(if you drill then slightly smaller and force the hose and funnel in you shouldn't need sealant).put rats/mice in the bag,put in the other end of the hose, squeeze out most of the air from the bag and tie it off with the shoelace to seal it.add 4-3 tablespoons of bicarb soda to the container and put on lid.add 1 CUP (not 1 litre) of viniger to the funnel with the knitting needle in place to seal it.add the viniger by pulling the needle out slightly then sealing it again.add the viniger in about 3-4 steps over 1-2 minutes.the bag will expand with co2 and the job will be done in a few minutes.
ps.having the rats in a bag works better and quicker then rats in a container .

Thnks for posting slimebo. Perfect for everyone. Menu and ingredients listed. pics presented so you know how it should turn out. Easy to follow guide.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back