Black Cockatoo Wing Spread

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Beautiful bird! He is an absolute stunner. You know you can get birds microchipped now? Just a thought, if he ever did get away or (God forbid) was stolen then you can reclaim him. I work at a vet clinic and we scan every stray bird that comes in. Granted we hardly ever find a chip but it is something that is becoming more common these days.

Gorgeous :)

I'm not going to clip his wings, I'm not going to deny him that vital part of life. He is in the gradual process of being harness trained through positive re-enforcement and is doing well with his aviator. He also gets aviary time and flies around the house. He does laps around the rooms often.
Birds with clipped wings can and will still fly away outside, unless their muscles are so weak they're unable to get any lift at all (which would be caused by clipping a bird before it can fledge). Wind conditions can sweep them away, or just putting in extra effort to flee something, and they'll end up too worn out to fly safely, and end up exhausted on the ground, or unable to safely glide from a height. I'm not posting this as a lecture too you, but too anyone reading; clipping wings does not prevent your bird flying away, I don't care what your vet told you. Again, this is not a shot at you, just anyone who reads this in the future.

Very happy to read this :) That is the right attitude when it comes to parrots (and the road I took with my little hahns macaw). Many people underestimate the intelligence and needs of parrots and it is very sad to see any parrot that has been put in that situation. I am actually a re seller of aviator harnesses on my website (among other parrot training stuff). The aviator harness is a great bit of kit and you will be very happy once you get him trained :) How is that training coming along? Shouldn't be too difficult if he has the typical cockatoo love of contact and scratches :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back