Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CameronWright

Reaction score
I have this 2 year old bhp and today I noticed its right eye was a lot different,
He shedded about 2 weeks ago so I think if it was still an eye cap it would have been noticed before, could be wrong though,
Maybe burned his eye?
What are your thoughts and what should I do?

qasagahe.jpg

Very hard to get a photo :(

8y6upedy.jpg

Ill describe it a bit,
It's dry and sort of like its got air underneath..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What is the humidity reading in its enclosure? I've had the humidity far too low before and one often Bhps eyes went a bit like that. Bumped the humidity up to at least 40% and it came good.
Could be a retained eye scale though. Always important to check sheds for the eye lens and make sure it's come off each time.

Does sound like a retained cap. Do the old soak and wipe, to be sure it's not..then let us know you go.

What is the humidity reading in its enclosure? I've had the humidity far too low before and one often Bhps eyes went a bit like that. Bumped the humidity up to at least 40% and it came good.
Could be a retained eye scale though. Always important to check sheds for the eye lens and make sure it's come off each time.

Hi thank you yes I will put the humidity up, but being Northern Territory snakes you wouldn't think they need humidity really?
Thank you :)

mine's was like that about a month ago then he shed 2 days ago and its fine:)

Hi thank you yes I will put the humidity up, but being Northern Territory snakes you wouldn't think they need humidity really?
Thank you :)

Summer is the wet season when I imagine they are active must be pretty humid?
The thing with one of mine was I was keeping the warm end 35 degrees with a che and had too much ventilation so it was really drying out the air. 35-45% humidity is still very low. But when I noticed the eye problem it was like 15% humidity. Very dry....

Summer is the wet season when I imagine they are active must be pretty humid?
The thing with one of mine was I was keeping the warm end 35 degrees with a che and had too much ventilation so it was really drying out the air. 35-45% humidity is still very low. But when I noticed the eye problem it was like 15% humidity. Very dry....
Good to know mate, I had assumed that BHPs would of had low humidity like the desert. One thing that I do not have to look up before I get my Bhp.

Yeah thanks, a lot of the care sheets do not mention humidity. I have just ordered the scales and tails e-mag about bhp , I am hoping that it also talks about keeper them as well as breeding them.

This seems to be a common thing with bhps. iv seen a few animals of keepers i know get this problem, the times iv seen it both eyes were completely cloudy nothing like a shed more of a solid milky white/blue eventaully getting thicker and swollen, personally iv seen them up to 1cm. Quite shocking. if you've seen it in its later stage you would feel very sorry for the animal like I did. Also recently a snake was posted on here with one eye like this, not sure how that snakes going, but it seems to be common thing within the species and the animals that have had the problem that Iv seen were kept in poor living conditions (not saying yours have been.) high humidity, wet substrate, fesis in part of the enclosure etc. the other snake posted on aps had some scale problem on its face so its almost deffinatly linked to improper husbandry. You deffinatly need to keep watch of this problem because it goes from a milky eye (looks like its i shed) to an extremely swollen eye till the animal barely being able to breath, struggling loudly.

The animals that died of this problem never got to a vet because the owners were to consintratred on making money, unfortunatly. so I'm not sure if it can be reversed or if its fatel even if treated........has anyone had this problem with bhps before? Iv never heard or seen it in womas, so it might be linked directly to bhps, fluid on the eye eventually effecting the snakes breathing it's not fun to watch I would get someone to look at it that knows their stuff or get it to a vet because if it is this problem it will get disturbingly bad, resulting in a dead snake but a very slow death, its a very long process. I'm hopeing for your sake its just a retained eye cap, but always cheak its sheds to make sure it's eye caps have come off straight away.......

This seems to be a common thing with bhps. iv seen a few animals of keepers i know get this problem, the times iv seen it both eyes were completely cloudy nothing like a shed more of a solid milky white/blue eventaully getting thicker and swollen, personally iv seen them up to 1cm. Quite shocking. if you've seen it in its later stage you would feel very sorry for the animal like I did. Also recently a snake was posted on here with one eye like this, not sure how that snakes going, but it seems to be common thing within the species and the animals that have had the problem that Iv seen were kept in poor living conditions (not saying yours have been.) high humidity, wet substrate, fesis in part of the enclosure etc. the other snake posted on aps had some scale problem on its face so its almost deffinatly linked to improper husbandry. You deffinatly need to keep watch of this problem because it goes from a milky eye (looks like its i shed) to an extremely swollen eye till the animal barely being able to breath, struggling loudly.

The animals that died of this problem never got to a vet because the owners were to consintratred on making money, unfortunatly. so I'm not sure if it can be reversed or if its fatel even if treated........has anyone had this problem with bhps before? Iv never heard or seen it in womas, so it might be linked directly to bhps, fluid on the eye eventually effecting the snakes breathing it's not fun to watch I would get someone to look at it that knows their stuff or get it to a vet because if it is this problem it will get disturbingly bad, resulting in a dead snake but a very slow death, its a very long process. I'm hopeing for your sake its just a retained eye cap, but always cheak its sheds to make sure it's eye caps have come off straight away.......

My BHP is fine now. Read here for info about the eye issue: http://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/herp-help-38/bulging-white-eye-bhp-199934/page/3#post2322990

As far as improper husbandry goes, how do you recommend I stop a juvenile BHP striking the glass when ever she sees movement outside her enclosure? (not much of an issue nowadays, she is a bit older now).

My BHP is fine now. Read here for info about the eye issue: http://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/herp-help-38/bulging-white-eye-bhp-199934/page/3#post2322990

As far as improper husbandry goes, how do you recommend I stop a juvenile BHP striking the glass when ever she sees movement outside her enclosure? (not much of an issue nowadays, she is a bit older now).
Move the snake to a qiet part of the house put a towel over the glass and just hope that it matures and settles down. A thought thats just come to me is that maybe its never had great vision and therefore strikes at all movement ??? . Or has never had a BIG feed so it is always looking for another little morsel to eat

Just thoughts correct me if you feel necesary :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back