Blue phase Common / Green Tree Snake Breeding

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GroupAHSV

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Im about to get my first pairs of tree snakes. My understanding is that there are very few people that have managed to breed these consistantly. Was wondering if there was anyone out there that was able to offer some advise. I will really appreciate anyones advise, trials and tribulations.

just got my hatchie gtp and they are beautiful. there are many breeders these day who have yearlings. email SXR they may have some

he means green tree snakes not gtp. people dont read properly thse dats

Yes, many ppl breed them consistantly..

Last edited:
Since others dont seem to be answering i will offer my 2c. I think its maily just a matter of feeding them well and allowing them to cool, Trueblue suggested in another thread to turn heating off for a couple weeks(try searching for the thread as my memory isnt that great) to ensure enough cooling. I think the main reason ppl dont breed them is the effort involved in getting them feeding and avoiding the tyrekickers or incompetent keepers if they are advertised. I think they should be worth more than GTP's as they are less common, look better, are interesting to watch rather than being a boring blob of decorative snot and require more to look after, also you are guaranteed they are actually Australian rather than dodgy illegal imports too.

cris, how many boring peices of snot as you call them do you own ?

Common trees are quite easy to breed.
As chris said its best to turn their heat off completely for 2-4 weeks towards the end of winter, as long as the room that they are housed in gets to above 28 degrees for a few hours a day.
They need to be feed regulary compared to pythons and will infact feed right up to when they drop their eggs.

I agree chris, they are much more interesting than boring hunks of gorrilla snot. hahaha.

cris, how many boring peices of snot as you call them do you own ?

Although, to be fair, I do agree, tree snakes are alot more fun to handle because they're active and enjoy cruising around their enclosure alot, but then again, I own a "boring peice of snot" too.

Last edited:
I've been researching some of Australia's colubridae, and I came up with one that looks a lot like the blue phase GTS, called the northern tree snake. Scientific name Dendrelaphis Calligaster. Have a look into it, it's a very good looking snake. Does anybody in here have any information on them? I only found one website that had any info, and it was quite brief, and that was the James Cook University website.

I've been researching some of Australia's colubridae, and I came up with one that looks a lot like the blue phase GTS, called the northern tree snake. Scientific name Dendrelaphis Calligaster. Have a look into it, it's a very good looking snake. Does anybody in here have any information on them? I only found one website that had any info, and it was quite brief, and that was the James Cook University website.

I noticed that aswell and came up with the conclusions that they might have just found a very close relative to the punctulata, who knows maybe the true blues are all calligaster, just assumed to be punctulata. or some of the true blues are one and some the other? either way, i would think they would be so closely related that only a genetisist would be able to tell them apart. again, this is all WILD speculation as i have no evidence or done any reading, its just what seems most logical if you believe in evolution(and all that you need to believe in evolution is a belief in genetic dominance, which has been proven)... will keep my eyes peeled and my ear to the ground though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back