blue tongues encloures

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ashley_morris22

Reaction score
just wondering what people are using for enclosures for blue tonges as my wife wants 1 ( i will buy three) getting the bluies is not a prob but what would u put a trio in? like a fish tank or do u build a snake like enclosure. also sizes ( room is not a prob at my house) but i dont want to go overbored with it. as i have other plans in the making.

Thanks
ashley

I house my 2 in a fish tank, 2 and a half foot long and 1 foot wide. I think they like floor space as they dont climb at all. (well, mine dont). For a trio as adults i reckon a four foot fish tank would be good to house them in. And if you could afford a few extra bucks, a 4x2x2 would be even better with plenty of leaf litter and hiding spots they should love it.

Cheers, Alan.

Personally I am against fish tanks for herps that don't require a lot of water. I have used them in the past and found that they make the animal very skittish and that they don't behave as naturally as they do in the wooden sided enclosures. Personally I would use a 4x2 wooden enclosure as an absolute minimum for a trio.
JMO.

I have my bluey in an old glass front cabinet I picked up from some kind of rubbish heap..I can't quite remember. Lol. Obviously I cleaned it up and painted it etc. But it's about 4 1/2 foot long and 2 foot wide. One end of it has a wooden door so it's a good escape from prying eyes, i.e me. :roll:

Chuck them outside Ash.If ya can.
But really does depend on wat form they r aswell.

I noticed a massive diffence in their temperment(not as skitish,and even their colours seem a little better.Just watch the heat through summer though make sure they get plenty of afternoon shade to keep them from overheating.
Let em know if ya chasin some.Might have a few adults i can get rid of.

I have to agree with Afrofishythingy too. I had to drape a towel down both sides and the rear of the glass enclosure before the snake would settle down.

I would advise against using a fish tank as a bluey enclosure too. I currently have my two in a 4ft tank, and they are a bit more flighty than i would prefer, especially for blueys, but they arent too bad. I would have considered a fish tank inescapable for blueys, but they have proved me wrong, but the glass lids cannot be used as ventilation is required thru the top. I am currently working on an alternative. Top ventilation is also very inefficient as far as heating goes.

Fish tank can be a great cheap alternative.

As for having the lizards more comfortable, why not use some of the cool different styles of backings that you can get from aquariums/petshops for the back and sides, there for it is exactly like a wooden enclosure but cheaper. A wooden frame with some mesh would make a good top too.

Making sure it is attached to the OUTSIDE of the enclosure as so you dont have a special forces wall climber like Jungleboy.... ;)

Cheers, Alan.

LOL Sherm... In my defence, the only reason the backing was on the inside was because some clown painted the back sheet of the fish tank black before i bought it ay mate :p
But you're right... my blueys are "special" :)

that bad boy was black when i got it too!!! But in JB's defence, it was I that put the backing inside the tank, cause the beardies that were in it were too big to do the tactical escape inbetween it!!

Do u have room for an outside enclosure? i don't like fishtanks because i believe the humidity would get to high.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back