Bluey substrate?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sock Puppet

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
OK, there's heaps of threads relating to python substrate etc, but from doing a search it's a bit confusing finding anything definitive about substrate for blueys. I've got a couple of young 'uns in a 4' enclosure (for now, will be going into outside pen when I get to building it), & am currently just using newspaper as a substrate for cost & ease of cleaning. However....I have read that newspaper isn't the best as the print comes off on their feet/bellies (I haven't noticed this at all yet), they don't get traction on it (I'm yet to see them struggle, they aren't doing burnouts on the spot when I put snails in, that's for sure) & I've even read something about their nails not wearing down properly & require clipping??

Now, I may have already answered my own question, but since there's much more experienced people on here than myself, I thought I'd just get confirmation. As the first two points seem to be hogwash from what I've observed, & the third is debatable, I'm going to stick with newspaper for now as it's so easy to clean up after them. I'd rather steer clear of a kitty litter product unless it's talked up as being the duck's guts. I've seen one called Max's Cat Litter (rice husks etc rather than paper) that even advertises itself as a suitable reptile enclosure substrate.

Any thoughts / ideas / advice from people with experience?

from what i was told they need some where to dig and bury themselves in the enclosure. i used breeders choice kitty litter and found every night they would bury themselves.

Cheers thanks, how expensive is BC & OB? As I mentioned I have a 4' enclosure, so to fill it to a level where they can bury would take a fair bit. I know you can get BC in big bags, but what about the bark?
Obviously they can't bury themselves in newspaper, however, they do like to play a great game called hide under the newspaper.

mate i went through exactly the same thing as you when i got my pair. I started off with newspaper and they loved it, they'd crawl in and out between the pages, never had problem with print rub-off or traction, so yeah, i agree that those points are total hogwash. I now have them on astro turf which looks better and is also easy to clean. I thought about sand but apparently they can get sick from ingesting too much of it, and repti-bark was so expensive i nearly had heart failure. I cant stand kitty litter so i dont use it.

I agree with the other guys in that they do like to dig and bury themselves. I have an outdoor enclosure for mine that they visit on sunny days and i have bark and leaf litter int he bottom which they like to bury themselves in, but for every day functionality of the indoor enclosure, i find astro turf or newspaper easier to clean. provided that they have plenty of hides, they wont be so inclined to bury themselves. I think it's more about hiding than the action of burying.

Im sure some people will disagree with my last comment, but that's what i've found with my pair, and they are happy, healthy and breeding, so it obviously works for them. Blueys are pretty hardy, and i think as long as it is kept sanitary and regularly cleaned and disinfected, i think they will thrive on a range of substrates. I dont think they are as sensitive to environment factors as some other reptiles are.

Anyway, that's just my 2c worth. I hope your blueys are going well and you are enjoying them. cheers!

Awesome thanks Alison, you've confirmed for me what I was probably going to do anyway & stick with newspaper for now. They are active, feeding well. They'll pick at their veges etc like fussy kids, but give em a snail & they are so focussed haha. I put a small slug in the other day which got smashed, then the one that ate it was trying to lift or move his hide expecting to find more haha. So yeah, I am enjoying them, they're hilarious.
Anyway, thanks for the replies everyone, much appreciated.

Thanks tenacres, yeah that's the one I'd heard was OK for herps.
The main issue I guess is how much does that big bag cost? As I mentioned, I'm using a 4' enclosure, & the amount they go to the loo, I'd be spot cleaning daily & a full cleanout weekly. How does it look in the enclosure, you got any pics? The other thing I thought was OK with that product was it was totally biodegradable (ie, chuck it on the compost).

Aspen works a treat for my guys,costs a bit though :)

Yeah mate, it's a 4' enclosure. I use aspen with my juvi Bredli & that's OK 'cause I don't use much with each cleanout of their enclosure, but at $40 a big bag, & the rate the blueys are going to the loo, aspen is out of the question, would cost me a fortune. Looks good tho'

you don't need to put it in the whole enclosure just one spot for them to bury in. when i had mine indoors in a i meter enclosure i had breeders choice in 20cm of it and lino the rest.

you don't need to put it in the whole enclosure just one spot for them to bury in. when i had mine indoors in a i meter enclosure i had breeders choice in 20cm of it and lino the rest.

that's a great idea! I might give it a go. :D

I too use aspen. The only downside is cost and availability in the stores. However with regular spot-cleaning a big bag can last quite a while so we will continue with it for the time being. They love digging in it and pushing mounds of it into their hides to make them cosy.

I also partition my 4 foot enclosure off one end. I actually use sand in about one foot at the end below the lights and heat source. The rest of the enclosure is newspaper. I find that mine actually use the sand as their loo and i just scoop it out. They dig in the sand. sunbake etc and then also use the newspaper to hide aswell.

Pines

Thanks for the replies everyone, I like the idea of having just a section of the enclosure with a substrate they can dig & bury in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back