blueys and beardies together??

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AllThingsReptile

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
hey i was wondering can you keep bluetongues and beardies comfortably in the same (indoor) inclosure, my enclosure is 1m by about a foot and has 2, 7 month beardies
and was wondering if it would be big enough for 1-2 blueys of the same size, does anybody keep them together and advice, OR any suggestions on other lizards i could house with my beardies, i cant get another enclosure as parents dont want bigger energy bill.. parents also split up so im not at the house in question for 1 week then i am the next so..

cheers-seb

That's arguably too small for the beardies, let alone to share with blue tongues. Most people recommend a 4x2x2 for a pair of adults.

no dude there still juveniles and im definately getting a bigger enclosure,
one of them is only like 22cm and the other is about 28cm, there not power fed and growing like maniacs and the cage is huge compared to regulation size, they sprint around like psychos chasing crickets and sleep on there log, also just to clarify its 1m long and about a foot to a foot and a half wide, at mates while posting so cant give exact measurements, its also about a foot deep/high whatever you want to call it

i have kept them together before but dont anymore due to the occasional bite, from both parties. and niether end well. i dont even keep beardies together due to the same reason

I wouldn't house anything with the beardies... if you get a larger enclosure I've successfully housed a blotched bluey and shingleback, I think skinks are a bit easier.
If you really want another reptile then get another enclosure.
:)

a friend of mine has a cuninghams skink and a beardie together and hasnt had an issue in the 5 years theyve been together. they sleep curled into eachother and the cuninghams rides the beardie around there adorable but i dont know about introducing a new lizard in with an existing pair...

well this is kinda a *bump*
but with more added on, the reason i am not allowed to get another herp is power issues, so i cut out the second cage, make the first one HUGE and i can get new herps, this will only be until i get a job, as in 2 days in old enough to :)
but obviously might not get accepted for a while, so these are some of the herps i can get, my favs and ones that are accessable: beardies, blueys, shinglebacks, red barreds, EWD and maybe some more, i cant get a snake yet* so im gonna stick with lizards for now, i know this has gone on for ages but its actually going somewhere now
also due to getting in trouble at school, i might not be going to tassie, and if so will have some time to build enclosures and earn money :D
cheers guys, you wont have to put up with this for much longer

yet*= until i get a job PROVIDED i can get a second license for my dads house, as mum still pretends to have ophidiophobia (the fear of snakes

Seriously the electricity used in maintaining a reptile enclosure (no matter the size) 24/7 is minimal compared to a washing machine, clothes dryer or dishwasher.

i can see their point about the electricity however for two tanks its hardly noticable on you bill we are only noticing it now with about 12 tanks lol honestly 2 tanks is nothing on power its like equivelant to leaving your tv on for 4 hrs lol

i can see their point about the electricity however for two tanks its hardly noticable on you bill we are only noticing it now with about 12 tanks lol honestly 2 tanks is nothing on power its like equivelant to leaving your tv on for 4 hrs lol
well i try to tell them but NO they dont believe it, my mate's grandparents (he lives with them) always tell mum that they get such an enormous bill just coz of his blue tongue, then he got 2 snakes and they are saying that its huge bill, and wont let him get anymore herps, like me

Seriously the electricity used in maintaining a reptile enclosure (no matter the size) 24/7 is minimal compared to a washing machine, clothes dryer or dishwasher.
the point is, my dads greeny :rolleyes: and i swear he thinks that even a $1 increase will kill him lo

You can prove to your parents that reptiles don't add much to power bills, the formula is (Wattage × Hours Used Per Day ÷ 1000 = Daily Kilowatt-hour (kWh) consumption
and a kWh is around 10-20 cents, so a 100Watt bulb on for 12 hours a day uses 1 kWh, so reptiles should only add a few dollars to the power bill.

I looked into this a few years ago when I had a few Blueys and was looking at getting some Beardies. I asked the same question on here and received a resounding, Don't do it. Reason being both species are prone to becoming territorial and will take a snap at each other. My Blueys were like that towards each other and their offspring, so they were separated. You don't want a full grown Bluey, my girl was 55cm and the boy about 50cm taking a chomp on one of your beardies. Blueys have amazing bit force and cause some damage. Beardies have teeth which penetrate and cause some damage but the Blueys have crushing power.
Good luck mate.

If you don't have room for another enclosure because your parents won't let you, i suggest you do the responsible thing, contain yourself and be happy with what you have.. don't try and fit as many reptiles into one enclosure so that you can have more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back