Bokadams

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm interested in a discussion too, hence the question.

Cool! Makes two of us :)

I'm not so pretentious that i think that no one else knows about this stuff apart from me. I was hoping you knew something i didn't and was going to tell me. That is why i asked.

Sorry, I obviously know less about bockadam reproductive ecology than you my friend! But I don't think you are pretentious. There was that thread involving a rather unique fruit salad....

I can now see that i mis-read 'wouldn't' for 'would' i apologise if i caused offence.

No offense! I was just making a general point about captive reproduction. I would love to learn more about these guys, is there a paper or something you can point me to?

Last edited:
I think this is an interesting discission too. I mean this is a snake that feeds on fish etc and lives in the mangroves....I wonder were they lay their eggs....that is assuming they lay eggs and do not have live young...which would make more sense to me living where they do. I have seen a bright red /orange one at the Towns River....it appears they come in a heap of different colours.....I wonder if it is the same snake or a different version....many questions. I will make a trip to the museum and see what they say.

How are you going to change water levels by upto 8m in captivity? lol

I'm not sure 8m would be needed, just enough to cover the land component. I'm not sure what they do when they're not hutting the mud flats do they stay in the water or go to higher ground.

All that would be needed is a complete flooding of their terrestrial section of the enclosure, it's easily done with a timer and a overflow sump filter. I use to set these up regularly with reef aquariums.

Last edited:
I'm not sure 8m would be needed, just enough to cover the land component. I'm not sure what they do when they're not hutting the mud flats do they stay in the water or go to higher ground.

All that would be needed is a complete flooding of their terrestrial section of the enclosure, it's easily done with a timer and a overflow sump filter. I use to set these up regularly with reef aquariums.

That would be a fantastic set up.....It appears the BOKADAM is Cerberus Australis here is a link I found Australian Bockadam - Cerberus australis Photo Gallery by Wildlife Images at pbase.com

I've found them resting at low tide in mud pools partially submerged, usually just their eyes poking out. But i've also found one on a sandy beach just chilling out.

I've found them resting at low tide in mud pools partially submerged, usually just their eyes poking out. But i've also found one on a sandy beach just chilling out.

There is a good post in Australian Fish Finding Forums in the wildlife photography section from someone in Darwin who is studdying them as well as another two common species of snakes found in mangroves.. Some great photos too..He says that they are agressive and their bite results in localised stinging. I like their bug eyes on the top of their head. to me this suggests that they do spend a lot of time in the water with their eyes poking out.

I know nothing about these snakes but a few years ago we tried growing beach worms
only way to get them breeding properly was emulating the tides
we raised one 30000 litre tank above another
put sloping sand in both
pumped up to the top tank and gravity fed back in a twelve hour cycle
It worked ok and they bred fine so long as we did regular water exchanges
keet ph about 7 and nitrate below 3

Maybe do the same thing on a smaller scale
[we were trying to do a commercial breeding to supply fishing shops]

I think this is an interesting discission too. I mean this is a snake that feeds on fish etc and lives in the mangroves....I wonder were they lay their eggs....that is assuming they lay eggs and do not have live young...which would make more sense to me living where they do. I have seen a bright red /orange one at the Towns River....it appears they come in a heap of different colours.....I wonder if it is the same snake or a different version....many questions. I will make a trip to the museum and see what they say.
They have live young

I know nothing about these snakes but a few years ago we tried growing beach worms
only way to get them breeding properly was emulating the tides
we raised one 30000 litre tank above another
put sloping sand in both
pumped up to the top tank and gravity fed back in a twelve hour cycle
It worked ok and they bred fine so long as we did regular water exchanges
keet ph about 7 and nitrate below 3

Maybe do the same thing on a smaller scale
[we were trying to do a commercial breeding to supply fishing shops]

PH is very low for a marine setup?

Interesting Waruikazi, how far from cover was it? Night or day? I have only ever seen one that was chillin out on the mud, although it was a F. lucobalia at night among mangroves at low tide.
I would love to keep any of these mangrove dwellers, along with File Snakes, but I was talking to someone who keeps Enhydris polylepis as well as File's, and said they're much easier to keep. E. polylepis is kinda similar to Cerberus in appearance, although more of a freshwater dweller than Bocks., they would be my choice I think. Although I love the black and white checkers Bockadams have on their bellies!
As said, would be interesting to hear from someone who has kept these snakes, although I doubt we will on here.

Interesting Waruikazi, how far from cover was it? Night or day? I have only ever seen one that was chillin out on the mud, although it was a F. lucobalia at night among mangroves at low tide.
I would love to keep any of these mangrove dwellers, along with File Snakes, but I was talking to someone who keeps Enhydris polylepis as well as File's, and said they're much easier to keep. E. polylepis is kinda similar to Cerberus in appearance, although more of a freshwater dweller than Bocks., they would be my choice I think. Although I love the black and white checkers Bockadams have on their bellies!
As said, would be interesting to hear from someone who has kept these snakes, although I doubt we will on here.

+ 1...have you taken any photos? I think when I go fishing over easter i will be more interested in getting some pics of these than catching fish. i have only seen them by day but that being said i have never looke for them at night.

I have kept Enhydris polylepis, but they are more ambush predators so tend to sit still. I would prefer bocks over them simply because bocks tend to hunt more. Keelbacks are my favourite of the aquatic snakes simply because they're a lot more active then any of the others.

Nah Reedy's doesn't sell them, as I said he's been trying to breed them for a while, until he can he hasn't sold them.

I've spoken to Reedy many times about them.

That's a Macleay's or a E. polyceptus, they are fully aquatic.

Nah Reedy's doesn't sell them, as I said he's been trying to breed them for a while, until he can he hasn't sold them.

I've spoken to Reedy many times about them.

That's a Macleay's or a E. polyceptus, they are fully aquatic.

Ah! got it.....how was he keeping his? Well I for sure am going to do a bit of reaserch of my own...I at least know what they eat so thats a start haha

What are you talking about, bocks or macleay's?

He doesn't keep macleay's just bocks, macleay's are fairly easy to breed from what I'm told. There are a few breeders around.

What are you talking about, bocks or macleay's?

He doesn't keep macleay's just bocks, macleay's are fairly easy to breed from what I'm told. There are a few breeders around.

It's the Bokadams that I'm interested in.

+ 1...have you taken any photos? I think when I go fishing over easter i will be more interested in getting some pics of these than catching fish. i have only seen them by day but that being said i have never looke for them at night.

Yea I have a few photos in here - Chapter 6 – Darwin, NT | Dans Wild Australia

We didn't spend long in the mangroves and manage to find 6 snakes in about 30 minutes, wish we did spend longer in there though to find a M. richardsonii. Next time I guess...

This one shows how the Bocks use their cool little eyes.

Yea I have a few photos in here - Chapter 6 – Darwin, NT | Dans Wild Australia

We didn't spend long in the mangroves and manage to find 6 snakes in about 30 minutes, wish we did spend longer in there though to find a M. richardsonii. Next time I guess...

This one shows how the Bocks use their cool little eyes.

Great pics.....Now I remember reading that post ......they appear to be not that uncommon either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back