Bokadams

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah Dan, I saw your Bocks, if I knew they were that easy to find I would of went for a hunt while in Darwin. I only saw your pics just after I got back.

The one on sand was about 9 in the morning during january from memory. My mum still has a photo of it somewhere. It was a long way from any kind of cover. I think it may have been caught up in flood water.

The one in the mud puddle was on an overcast day in thick mangroves at about 2 in the arvo. All the others were foraging.

I've only seen 2 leucobalia, both were in the middle of the day and both were crawling in and out of fiddler crab holes on mangrove mud flats.

Interesting Waruikazi, how far from cover was it? Night or day? I have only ever seen one that was chillin out on the mud, although it was a F. lucobalia at night among mangroves at low tide.
I would love to keep any of these mangrove dwellers, along with File Snakes, but I was talking to someone who keeps Enhydris polylepis as well as File's, and said they're much easier to keep. E. polylepis is kinda similar to Cerberus in appearance, although more of a freshwater dweller than Bocks., they would be my choice I think. Although I love the black and white checkers Bockadams have on their bellies!
As said, would be interesting to hear from someone who has kept these snakes, although I doubt we will on here.

Yeah Dan, I saw your Bocks, if I knew they were that easy to find I would of went for a hunt while in Darwin. I only saw your pics just after I got back.

I dunno if they are that easy to find hey, when i was in my teens i used to spend an awful lot of time in the mangroves fishing and crabbing and i only saw a few snakes (didn't really know what they were at the time but, so they could have been any of the mangrove snakes). I remember Dan's thread and i think he just got lucky and found a birthing.

And i've seen them throughout the tide, but none have been in the water at low tide.

Last edited:
I have only tried looking for them once so I can't really comment on how common they are. But I believe just like with any reptile, if you know the right spot you'll find them. I know another person that was with a group that managed to find all 3 mangrove dwelling species within 10 minutes, different spot to the one we went to though.

I have only tried looking for them once so I can't really comment on how common they are. But I believe just like with any reptile, if you know the right spot you'll find them. I know another person that was with a group that managed to find all 3 mangrove dwelling species within 10 minutes, different spot to the one we went to though.

I remember your thread Dan, what system did you find your bunch in?

I have found them in West Arm - Darwin Harbour on very low tides..usually when slowly trolling along the creeks.

I have found them in West Arm - Darwin Harbour on very low tides..usually when slowly trolling along the creeks.

That's the thing, i've never really looked for them, just spotted them while i'm out fishing. Maybe i'll have a proper geeze for them when i'm next out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back