Bredi keeps playing in his water

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cwtiger

Reaction score
Firstly I hope that I have put this in the right section. I have read the rules before
posting over and over so I apologise if I have misread or misunderstood
something and posted in the wrong place.
Hi I have a 4year old Bredli and today when I put his water bowl in for him he
keeps playing in it. Can anyone tell me what this means. He was fed a medium
rat last Sunday hasn't past it yet. He either puts his head under thw water or lays
in it he tipped it over twice soaking himself and enclosure. Is this normal
behaviour. I did a google search but it told me nothing apart from make sure I
give him water everyday and make sure it's large enough so that he can get his
body in there. Any advice would be appreciated. Tried taking a couple of
pictures so that you can all see what he is doing.
Thanking you all in advance.

Attachments

• PICT0017.jpg
    PICT0017.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 126
  • PICT0018.jpg
    PICT0018.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 125
I would say he's d just fastidious about his hygiene.

OR he's trying to have a soak because he's coming up to a shed. Definitely get a bigger water bowl in there so he can go for a proper paddle.

Might be trying to loosing his skin to shed so he can pass a poo out or I'd just wanting to shed the water will help it shed

Being in the water bowl can mean mites, that its too hot or they may be trying to shed. Sometimes they will just hang around it

The only other thing I have heard is that if a snake keeps soaking in its water bowl it could have mites....it is trying to drown them in the water. But you will know if it is mites because you should find little black things in the bottom of the water bowl. I would look at getting a heavier larger bowl so he cant tip it over and so he can soak in it if he needs to.

Elizabeth

if a snake is always in its water it normally means it has mites. c if u can c any on him or go to ur local reptile shop & get some mite spray. u gotta take everything out of tha cage spray it & leave it 4 20mins. spray the snake in seperate container, clean everything else, waterbowl etc. then put it all back in.

Ok cheers Thanks for that. I was thinking that shedding might have been the case. Sorry for all the questions but how big is to big a water bowl for him. Don't think it is mites as I haven't seen anything in the bottom but will keep my eye out.
Cheers

how weird is it how somtimes hatcho will sit in the water for no reason ie, not coming up for a shed has a hide rock, temps are perfect ect ect

u can spray it 4 mltes anyway if u want it wont hurt it. water bowls can be fairly big. i use a cermaic dog water bowl 4 example. bigger water bowl just means a bit more humidity in cage which helps the snake shed its skin easier. most times in 1 piece rather than bits n pieces

Ok cheers Thanks for that. I was thinking that shedding might have been the case. Sorry for all the questions but how big is to big a water bowl for him. Don't think it is mites as I haven't seen anything in the bottom but will keep my eye out.
Cheers

it would be ideal that the water bowl is big enough for the snake to be able to fully get in, or as close as you can get it

Being in the water bowl can mean mites, that its too hot or they may be trying to shed. Sometimes they will just hang around it

Thats the one.
Double check ya temps to make sure hes not too hot.
When i give mine snakes fresh water, they usually got for a soak and a drink. Some just like a swim. I was using a 15litre tub for my Murray/Darlings water bowl. She loved it, and the weight of all that water will stop it tipping over on you. Just dont over fill it, otherwise when the snake soaks, water will overflow.

snakes dont need to get in their water bowls. they will mainly only go in there & soak if they hav mites

Thanks for all your help I greatly appreciate it. I have only had him a week so will do the mite treatment. Temps are all ok will get myself a 15litre container tomorrow for him the bowl that is in there is a ceramic dog bowl but obviously to small. For tonight I have found a container from the kitchen about 5litre I think. He will be able to get abit more of himself in that one.

snakes dont need to get in their water bowls. they will mainly only go in there & soak if they hav mites

It can help them when shedding or if over heated to soak in the water. Sometimes they will just do it because they can, so its good to have the option there

water bowl upgrade for sure, some snakes just love a swim.. darwins are known to soak in there bowls, but any morelia can like a dip..

Thanks for all your help I greatly appreciate it. I have only had him a week so will do the mite treatment. Temps are all ok will get myself a 15litre container tomorrow for him the bowl that is in there is a ceramic dog bowl but obviously to small. For tonight I have found a container from the kitchen about 5litre I think. He will be able to get abit more of himself in that one.

Dont do a mite treatment unless you have confirmed mites. just keep an eye on him, and im sure he will be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back