Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ringo10

Reaction score
Gday All,

I am the new dad to a hatchling Bredli (Gordon) who hatched in February, this is my first snake and it has been about 2.5 weeks now since his last feed and is not feeding for me ,,, I may have him in a far to large tank (40cm x40 cm x90cm), he was a little snappy in the beginning but has settled down a heap,,,, I have tried to feed him pinkies in side his tank and also in a smaller container and NOTHING.. any help would be fantastic..

Cheers
Matt

Hi, I don't think the enclosure is to big for him. What are the Temps for the hot and and the cold end? And how big is he?

Chat to who you got him off, check how he set them up....and what he was feeding it when you purchased it.

heating is around 26-30 Degrees and he would be about 35 cms stretched out... the previous owner had him in a tupaware box ...

How is the cage heated? Is it heated during the night? Are there lots of tight places (hides) for him to hide in? Where does he spend most of his time?

personally i think the enclosure is too big....
any new snake is going to feel insecure when they first move homes. and urs is probably still adjusting to being moved around. i wouldnt worry too much at the moment. i would put him in something alot smaller and let him adjust and be left alone for a good week or two and then try feeding.

The hot end could go probably up a couple of degrees as long as the cool end stays about the same. Our Bredli is about the same age and she has a hot hide at about 32-33C, a cool hide about 25C and one in between where she spends most of her time. I agree that a smaller enclosure or more hides would help.

Isn't 35cm pretty small for a 5 month Bredli? Ours is about 50+cm long and will eat 2 fuzzy mice per feed!

Congrats on your new Bredli btw!

Hey the enclosure is fine as long as it has a few hides to keep it feeling comfortable. With the pinkies my advice is to 'brain' them which is just popping some of the blood out (to get the instincts going), also when moving to a plastic tub to feed i always find they are more willing to feed in a warm container (i put a heat mat under mine for a few minutes). Anyways this is just the way i prefer doing things and it worked for my 2 unwilling BHP's (now they are fat and full).
Goodluck... (BTW all snakes develop at different stages, so don't be worried that it's a little small)
Dani

hi ring10,
congrats on the new baby, they are wonderful snakes bredli's,I have a big boy myself. Personally I think the enclosure is too big, check your tempretures, bredli's are aboreal so make sure he has something to climb on they do like to feed off a branch. Maybe try leaving the mouse in there overnight, try piercing the head of the mouse squeeze some juice out (i know yucky) , your not in trouble yet but also there is skink scenting getting the tail of a skink mixing it with warm water making sort of a skink tail stew then putting the mouse in that , then offer it too him, once you got him going you 'll never stop him they love there food. Hope this helps
Chz4womas

Hi

My young lady was also hatched in Feb, and she is over 700mm long now and loves to eat. I made her enclosure from a plastic tub, and for heating I glued a heat cord to the bottom of a piece of slate. this allows for a hot and cold end, and she continually moves between them as she requires.
Best of luck and hope he starts eating soon.
IMG_9460.JPG

There are many threads on this subject...please do a 'search'.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would suggest increasing the temperatures inside the enclosure mate. It is winter and it can get colder a lot easier. Maybe overnight you could throw a blanket or something over the enclosure to keep the heat in.

As for another point? Where do you have him located? Is he in the lounge room with a lot of noise or traffic? If so a move to a quieter area might be on the cards.

Anyways, good luck with it all mate.

Hi

My young lady was also hatched in Feb, and she is over 700mm long now and loves to eat. I made her enclosure from a plastic tub, and for heating I glued a heat cord to the bottom of a piece of slate. this allows for a hot and cold end, and she continually moves between them as she requires.
Best of luck and hope he starts eating soon.View attachment 56420

Nice looking setup you have there mate. :lol:

Thank you all so very much for your help , i will take as much as i can from all of you and try little variations,

again thank you ALL

here is a pic of his house :)

Attachments

• IMG_0731.jpg
    IMG_0731.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 87
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back