Bredli with RI - Advice please.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sarin

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I have had experience with RI's with Ball Pythons but this is my first with a Bredli. She was fine, then overnight she started slightly wheezing. I know the syptoms of an RI and she definitely has one. No bubbles or cracking as of yet.

I am first curious as to what may have caused it. There are a few factors, I moved her to a different part of the room and realized it was VERY dusty after realizing she had the RI, so I moved her. Also, with odd weather lately her cage humidity bumped from ~30% to over ~60%.

I am currently treating her with steam filled with F10 and Vicks vapor rub. Similar to the treatment found on this forum: Alternative R.I. treatment - Reptile Forums.

I do NOT want to dose her up on antibiotics as of yet. However, I have some on hand if she needs it. (Baytril and Fortaz)

Now since I am more familiar with Python Regius, I am asking you guys what would be best for her right now. I have her humidity down to ~45%, heat pad at 105F (it always has been this high), and a 50 watt heat bulb at 100%. Cool end is about 80-85F. She was on aspen, now on paper towel. Took out all perches and decor, all she has is a water dish. She has never nor now has a hide/s.

She is still eating, should I keep feeding her? Smaller meals perhaps?

What do you guys do when your Aussie Pythons get an RI?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

IMG_2992.jpg

sorry i cant help with the ri... but she's beautiful. hope all goes well!

hi there l would suggest lowering your heat pad to 95f so as she spends more time on it your 105f is ok imo if its air temp but once again imo 105f is too hot for them to spend a prolonged period on and get a good overall body temp out of .
...........cheers solar 17 (Baden)

Hi,

Just temp gunned the hot spot after I moved her yesterday and it is actually 95-98. It has lowered since the move.

I am using Eucalyptus Oil mixed with Vicks in boiling water and steaming her with that 10 minutes in the morning and night, and clean out her cage every day and give her new water.

I am just so worried about her.

Last edited:
I have a Coastal that has a dry wheeze, that comes from one nostril. I never worry about it because of no obvious RI syptoms. Its more of a whistle than a wheeze.
If She's still hungery, keep feeding.
Personally i would have a hide, that is at 85f near the heat source.
Sorry i couldn't be of any real help and hope she dosn't have RI.

She definitely has an RI. I know it is not the heavy breathing these species is known for. Unfortunately.

I am glad I caught it early enough, I am really thinking it was because of the dusty conditions and/or spike in humidity that caused it.

No idea about treating RI. If my snake ever gets symptoms I'll take it to a herp vet down the road.

One possibility though- I notice you're using heat mats, what is the air temp of your enclosure, and what's your ambient temperature in your house? I ask because my bredli only spends a small proportion of his day on the ground, they do love to climb.

Nathan,

I am using both a heat pad and a heat bulb. The reptile room is 78-80F sometimes it gets down to 76 depending on the day. Her ambient is ~90F warm and ~83F cool. I took away her perches and decor to prevent contamination. She rarely climed before anyhow and spent most of her time on the ground.

I have delt with vets with my royals when one had an RI and I do not want to do that again. The only reason why I am asking for advice is that I am not as familiar with Carpets and RI's.

I appreciate the advice so far. :)

Give her something to hide in. Stress is bad for sick snakes, and a hide will help her calm down and concentrate on fighting off the infection. My snake just got over RI and spent all of his time in his hide on the heat mat. Good as new, now! If you are worried AT ALL go to the vet. I know it's expensive, but it's worth it for your little girl.

Thanks for the advice. If she happens to worsen with my current treatment then I will get a swab done and treat her accordingly. She hasn't gotten any worse but has improve slightly.

I wasworried about giving her a hide as her cage is only 24" long and she is about 4-5ft long (I know she is due for an upgrade). The hides I use are plastic and I am worried that because of the 96 degree hotspot and the 90-95 degree heat lampo right above, it'll cook her under the plastic hide.

And I don't want to put it on the cool side, then she'd have to choose between security and heat.

Any suggestions?

You say you have access to antibiotics but are not keen on using them. I don't understand this rationale as the sole purpose for developing antibiotics is to treat bacterial infections. Some of the alternative therapies may work but not with the efficacy of antibiotics. In the end its your choice but it doesn't make sense to me to not use the most effective treatment available.

maybe throw in some newspaper, she can hide in it, under it or on it as she chooses? At the end (warm or cool) that she chooses ;)

Thanks, I did that already after pondering it for a while!

You say you have access to antibiotics but are not keen on using them. I don't understand this rationale as the sole purpose for developing antibiotics is to treat bacterial infections. Some of the alternative therapies may work but not with the efficacy of antibiotics. In the end its your choice but it doesn't make sense to me to not use the most effective treatment available.

Because Antibiotics aren't always necessary. These are reptiles and they are sensitive to manyAntibodies. I do not want to dose up my animals. Everyone has their own opinion, but I believe in nebulizing over antibiotics any day. Obviously if she was bubbling and gaping, it would become too severe and they may be needed.

I have had an animal die from Antibiotics (under a vets instructions, too) and I will not let that happen again - it was devastating. (It was also my first exeprience with RI) I have heard great success with nebulization and that is why I am so adamant on not using antibiotics unless absolutely necessary. :)

Again I really do appreciate all of the advice so far. I will continue to update you guys on her progress.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back