Breeding Rats For Food.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm think about doing this myself, I'm just wondering if anyone can tell me how you cull the rats,mice as i don't really want to be feeding live??

the best, but expensive way is to hire a nitrogen tank from a gas distributor (you'd have to purchase a regulator yourself about $150, gas bottles are about $130 a year), get a tub set up as a gas chamber, it's the most humane way, there's no gasping response and they simply "go to sleep", but most people don't want to outlay that much money, but it's the easiest and least heartbreaking way.

the other way is simply belting them against a brick or something, it's a bit stomach churning and there's a chance you don't kill the rat, so there's a risk of damage to snake if you don't watch them eat.

not a problem :)
it kind of comes down to scale of production, and self fortitude, if you can't stomach killing rats or mice or what ever by hand (which I wouldn't blame anyone, it's a harrowing experience I can tell you from personal experience, the first week I had nightmares, retching and nausea, it got easier and I grew the ability to distance myself, but even after several years, I still hated doing it)
then I'd suggest the gas route, sure it's expensive to start up, but if you're going to be culling a lot of animals, or squeamish, it's really the only way to go, and it's a lot easier on the conscience.

some will suggest the baking soda and vinegar rout for C02, but it's messy and cumbersome and takes quite a while to get effective (the right mix and setup)

I had a 10g bottle, it lasted more than a year, and I culled a LOT of rats, so price per rat, it's really quite reasonable (I had 2 colonies in huge 2 metre cages of about 200 rats, so I made back my costs selling back to others)

if you're only breeding for yourself. hmm it's a toss up really, on if you can handle hand killing, or want it quick and easy without the mess.

the best, but expensive way is to hire a nitrogen tank from a gas distributor (you'd have to purchase a regulator yourself about $150, gas bottles are about $130 a year), get a tub set up as a gas chamber, it's the most humane way, there's no gasping response and they simply "go to sleep", but most people don't want to outlay that much money, but it's the easiest and least heartbreaking way.

the other way is simply belting them against a brick or something, it's a bit stomach churning and there's a chance you don't kill the rat, so there's a risk of damage to snake if you don't watch them eat.
Most breeders i know use CO2 not Nitrogen.

yes, most do, even I did.
but since retiring (due to having to move and no long being able to breed)
I've read and heard a lot for changing to nitrogen or argon.
the main reason is nitrogen or argon are an inert gas, so as animals are being suffocated due to lack of oxygen, their system doesn't react, it doesn't realise it's dying, so there's no gasping, there's no panic and there's much less (if any) suffering.
C02 on the other hand causes a massive system reaction, and creates a rather nasty death, pretty much like drowning.

but, there is still much argument about which is best, in either case, you have to use quick and high levels of gas so as not to cause undue stress.

I'm trying to find articles for and against but it's not proving easy :/ *sigh*

Last edited by a moderator:
I dont understand the relevence of nitrogen or argon being inert. Either way the animal is dying due to being depriced of oxygen. I haven't observed the struggle you mention when using CO2. What are the consequences of "the massive system reaction" and suffering you talk of?

so after much searching, I finally found a paper on the subject, and it appears that I am incorrect and that C02 is still the best gas to use
feel free to read for yourself
Comparison of Carbon Dioxide and Argon Euthanasia: Effects on Behavior, Heart Rate, and Respiratory Lesions in Rats

The current study is the first to demonstrate that rats euthanized with argon gas have pulmonary lesions, specifically hemorrhage into the alveoli, consistent with terminal asphyxiation. These lesions are similar to those described in rats euthanized with CO2, both in the current study and previously.8,10 In summary, we suggest that argon at a concentration sufficient to cause death is stressful to rats as a sole euthanasia agent. Although gradual filling with CO2 appears preferable to argon for euthanasia of rats, it may also cause stress prior to onset of anesthesia.

so there you go, we all learned something new today :)

as to wokka, the relevance is to cause as little stress and suffering as possible, not only for the animal in question but also the person administering the termination.
having almost been killed by gas myself (glorious accident doh) your brain goes into hyper freakout mode (strangely enough) much like drowning I'm told, I'd prefer something as quick as possible, not only for myself but animals as well, maybe that's just me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back