Rats v Mice

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mack86

Reaction score
Hey all,

When I was last at the pet store buying food (I know, I know, I'm paying too much 🤪) the lady there said I should switch to rats from mice.

Now I've become quite wary of people in pet shops so..... I thought I'd ask you lovely people, are rats better for pythons and should I switch?

Thanks in advance

I was just reading an article about jungle pythons which stated rats are more nutricious than mice. But I have also read that rats are harder to digest because of the fur . Something to consider is people saying it can be hard to convert a mouse eater
Since most of our snakes are Antaresia who are too small for rats they will continue to be fed mice.
Our carpets are bigger so they get rats as do the lace monitors

I was just reading an article about jungle pythons which stated rats are more nutricious than mice. But I have also read that rats are harder to digest because of the fur . Something to consider is people saying it can be hard to convert a mouse eater
Since most of our snakes are Antaresia who are too small for rats they will continue to be fed mice.
Our carpets are bigger so they get rats as do the lace monitors
I really appreciate this advice. It appears that the adult mice are now verging too small, I need to get an updated weight and work out next size. Just wondering there is bigger than adult mice right? What would they be called? Sorry for the silly question..

i would 100x over prefer a 50g breeder mouse thats 6months old over a 50g weaner rat
but i'd rather a 80g small rat over 2x 50g mice

i would 100x over prefer a 50g breeder mouse thats 6months old over a 50g weaner rat
This makes sense ^^ Definitely would like to keep my Stimsons/Childrens on mice so will continue doing what I'm doing. Thank you !

I really appreciate this advice. It appears that the adult mice are now verging too small, I need to get an updated weight and work out next size. Just wondering there is bigger than adult mice right? What would they be called? Sorry for the silly question..
There is an extra large adult mouse, this is what I feed my spotted pythons.
Another option is day old chicks for variety which are very small, but week old are also available, sometimes small quail also

There is an extra large adult mouse, this is what I feed my spotted pythons.
Another option is day old chicks for variety which are very small, but week old are also available, sometimes small quail also
Let me ask you a question. Chickens and quail - how often should I feed them to my python? Once a week or once a month? Or how?

Let me ask you a question. Chickens and quail - how often should I feed them to my python? Once a week or once a month? Or how ?
As often as you feed rodents, just replace a feed with an alternate product. I feed all my Ants weekly so if I have a bird or a mouse it's still the same. Offering different critters for food gives your snake variety

Hi Herp. I was wondering where to buy 50g breeder mice as the largest I can find are only 30g. I am in Sydney.

Hi Herp. I was wondering where to buy 50g breeder mice as the largest I can find are only 30g. I am in Sydney.
they're "ex breeder mice" at 30g they're "adults" Look at private rodent breeders, off the top of my head i can only think of rodent farm and biosupplies
steer clear of pet shop frozen stock... unless u have an arm and leg spare

they're "ex breeder mice" at 30g they're "adults" Look at private rodent breeders, off the top of my head i can only think of rodent farm and biosupplies
steer clear of pet shop frozen stock... unless u have an arm and leg spare
Why frozen isn't suitable? Another stupid question from me :(

Why frozen isn't suitable? Another stupid question from me :(

I think Herpetology was more meaning that it's a lot cheaper to buy Reptile food in general (Crickets/Roaches/Mice/Rats etc) from private breeders over
Pet Shops..

I've actually recently started to do this myself with Crickets and Roaches because the Frilly eats a lot. As you can imagine.
Thankfully my Roach colony pretty much sustains itself. But on the odd occasion I like to give it a top up. Never had any luck breeding Crickets unfortunately.

As far as the Mice and Rats go. I will occasionally buy them from Pet Shops. But very few.
Only if I absolutely need some or a certain size and I can't wait for them to be delivered.

But for bulk orders. Pet Shop is a no go.

I think Herpetology was more meaning that it's a lot cheaper to buy Reptile food in general (Crickets/Roaches/Mice/Rats etc) from private breeders over
Pet Shops..

I've actually recently started to do this myself with Crickets and Roaches because the Frilly eats a lot. As you can imagine.
Thankfully my Roach colony pretty much sustains itself. But on the odd occasion I like to give it a top up. Never had any luck breeding Crickets unfortunately.

As far as the Mice and Rats go. I will occasionally buy them from Pet Shops. But very few.
Only if I absolutely need some or a certain size and I can't wait for them to be delivered.

But for bulk orders. Pet Shop is a no go.
Okay, I get it. Private breeders are better than pet shops. Not surprised, since private breeders care more about the quality of their product than pet shops. A pet shop is all about the standard, and that's not always a good thing.

Okay, I get it. Private breeders are better than pet shops. Not surprised, since private breeders care more about the quality of their product than pet shops. A pet shop is all about the standard, and that's not always a good thing.
Something to remember is pet shops have big overheads . staff, rent etc. so they charge higher prices because they also want to make a profit. Whereas smaller operations have lower overheads, as they are operated from home and they are usually family run so they have no wages or rent to pay. I buy my rodents/birds from a friend who runs 1 of these, I buy my crickets in bulk because they are a pain to breed ( + too noisy and smelly) but I do breed my own woodies and super worms . If you can find a local rodent breeder , (sorry I don't know any in Melbourne) maybe whoever you bought your snake from will give you a tip ? When you have been in the hobby for a while you get to learn more things

Something to remember is pet shops have big overheads . staff, rent etc. so they charge higher prices because they also want to make a profit. Whereas smaller operations have lower overheads, as they are operated from home and they are usually family run so they have no wages or rent to pay. I buy my rodents/birds from a friend who runs 1 of these, I buy my crickets in bulk because they are a pain to breed ( + too noisy and smelly) but I do breed my own woodies and super worms . If you can find a local rodent breeder , (sorry I don't know any in Melbourne) maybe whoever you bought your snake from will give you a tip ? When you have been in the hobby for a while you get to learn more things
Yes, I understand why pet shops set higher prices. They generally have higher marketing costs. But their quality will not be inferior to that of a small breeder.

Yes, I understand why pet shops set higher prices. They generally have higher marketing costs. But their quality will not be inferior to that of a small breeder.
you forget 1 thing, they are buying from a breeder, they are not breeding their own . I will not buy from Petbarn for instance because they don't feed the bugs. The bugs are delivered and sit on the shelf till they are sold or the next delivery comes next week. I can't count the times I have bought a tub of crix that had 1 bug, $6 for 1 cricket ? is that a good price ? Tell me that is superior quality

you forget 1 thing, they are buying from a breeder, they are not breeding their own . I will not buy from Petbarn for instance because they don't feed the bugs. The bugs are delivered and sit on the shelf till they are sold or the next delivery comes next week. I can't count the times I have bought a tub of crix that had 1 bug, $6 for 1 cricket ? is that a good price ? Tell me that is superior quality
Oh that's so sad 😢

One thing I’ve come to learn is that a lot of smaller suppliers buy from the 2 major suppliers ( p and b) in bulk and will then put them into smaller containers and sell for almost 5x the price they buy for in bulk hahah

One thing I’ve come to learn is that a lot of smaller suppliers buy from the 2 major suppliers ( p and b) in bulk and will then put them into smaller containers and sell for almost 5x the price they buy for in bulk hahah
I have been doing this for over 20 years and have found that P are the worst. I buy in bulk from B but that is for my personal use and personal delivery is good quality

Back