Breeding Trials of BHP (Het for Axanthic) 2010

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
great job everyone with all the info. i tried mine this year but without success, i think. she took a feed the other day. oh well there's always next year, ifeel a little more confident with the info on this thread thanks again

Just because an animal is 'young', doesn't mean it will necessarily have complications. And in some accounts the complication of being 'egg bound' can be attributed to in-correct post ovulation husbandry, rather than "she was just too young and too small".
The size and weight of BHP eggs quite often reflect the size/weight of the female that produced them. I've bred one BHP female in particular at 1.5kg. The 4 fertile eggs produced weighed an average of 90g each.

Pics of the gravid female in link.
Mating

Well done with all of you documentation of your breeding trails, James. Definitely alot of good advice given by others also. Great thread.

Den

In saying that Den,the 4eggs weighed 90grams,what is the average weight a older-bigger Bhp would lay...

No luck this year kupper, lots of mating just no go on the egg front. She is just getting bigger by the day though, so things may go well next season. Still waiting to see how I go with the bredlis though.

Kupper, more Axanthics are on their way this season.
We have had some good matings, and has resulted in some lovely eggs which will hatch in November/December.

Here is a picture of a few last season
DSC_0058.jpgDSCN3355.jpgCopy-of-DSCN3474.jpgDSCN7839.jpg

very nice, best of luck with this neil. better luck next season james.

would love to get my hands on some of these guys.

Yes, in agreement with Ozzie, better luck next season James, it all takes time, but well worth the wait.

one of my girls shed a bit over a week ago, not sure if she will lay or not she deffinitely looks bigger then she should but time will tell. she doesnt seem to like the spagnum moss in her lay box though, anyone else have this problem.
P1070824.jpg

Have you found that when mating that the female ever leaves traces of very diluted blood on the paper / substrate ?

I have observed this in other snake species but never pythons. I have not witnessed a lock yet but both male and female have been observed with their tails aligned on multiple occasions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back