breeding woodies

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
'cricket' loves nothing more then being tossed into the container with the woodies :lol:

Attachments

• DSCF0005-6.JPG
    DSCF0005-6.JPG
    199 KB · Views: 83
so easy to breed i havent really brought any in weeks i might pop extra tub in once every few weeks but they breed to easy .... they make no noise and i just use vasaline so they cant get out

Started a colony last week thanks to Br3nton

I like them fondue style,

79d82cdb-e034-b9c6.jpg
here's my food source.

Breeding woodies is easy as lol. I just brought a thousand mixed size from live foods unlimited. Some fluron from herpshop and threw them in a 50litre tub and let them do there thing. I feed them orange and sit them on my hot water cylinder and I swear they have doubled in number in a month lol breed like rabbits. If your worried about noise don't knock the tub lol it nearly makes my misses hurl

I have mine in the kmart bright coloured bins that look like mini versions of the green garbage bin. First I took off the wheels so it was not easily knocked over. Then I melted a mesh window into the lid and painted a thick line of fluon around the top. Then added egg cartons and a food dish on top to hold scraps (this makes cleaning a bit easier in the future). Add as many woodies as you can afford to buy. The trick is to have more than one colony and don't touch them at all for at least 2 months. I have 3 colonies now and they are FULL FULL FULL of more woodies than I know what to do with. Oh and don't let them get cold if you want them to breed continuously. I keep mine in my reptile room over winter.

I've got mine in a 115L container with Fluon on the lip.

The problem I've found is they're far too easy to neglect..
They're low maintenance, and I've found it's easy to forget to feed them, etc.

This shouldn't matter if you give them crushed up dog biscuits, etc.
The biggest issue is keeping them hydrated. I've been using carrot up until now.
I was thinking a container with a wet wick.. But might try buying some water crystals
from a pet shop.. Hopefully this will mean it won't matter to much if I get to give
them a water source.

with the vasoline how long till you will have to put more on?

Using vaso works fine, the problems with it is it's messy.
Any dirt and dust and everything else sticks and you will probably wipe it off and reapply before it wears out.
Also you will probably get smears of vaso up your arm when you are servicng you tub or harvesting woodies.

Fluon is a much more perferrable method. $30 for 250mL from the Herpshop. I'll never use vaso again.

I have my woodie on a heat mat 24/7. They breed like crazy, even through winter. More than my needs and I tend to sell a few tubs every six months.
Can someone confirm this but do the males have a longer life span?
All the dead ones all have wings, so I only harvest the females now as I assume they would probably die soon anyway. My colonies seem to be growing faster since I started this.

Chewy just checked the care sheet on Herp Trader 365 days for Males, 344 for females of the speckled feeder roach. ;) Nauphoeta cinerea

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back