brine shrimp?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dano85

Reaction score
is feeding frozen brine shrimp as a treet good for short neak turtles?

If they are saltwater Brine Shrimp, then it is not a good idea.

Freshwater turtles can die if they consume too much salt.

Regards,
Michael.

it doesnt say if they are salt or fresh it just has for fresh water and marine fish the brand is aqua one does anyone no if they are fresh or salt?

Freshwater Brine Shrimp would be an oxymoron, wouldn't it? Well, admittedly it wouldn't be the most ridiculous common name around even if they were freshwater animals, but Brine Shrimp are from salty inland waters, often a lot saltier than the ocean.

But then why does the packaging say for Freshwater fish if too much salt isn't good for them?

But then why does the packaging say for Freshwater fish if too much salt isn't good for them?

I eat animals from salt water and I don't live in any water at all! Freshwater fish can often happily eat things from salt water. Whether or not Brine Shrimp are good for freshwater turtles is something you can debate to your heart's content, my thoughts on the topic are controversial (by APS standards :lol: ) and I won't share them, however, the natural history of Brine Shrimp (Artemia) is not controversial - they inhabit some of the saltiest water on the planet.

Okay, I'll just shut up then. Haha. I trust your knowledge :D

We humans can eat saltwater products. We are physiologically able to process salt, via our loop of henle in our kidneys.

The Henle's loop in a reptile is quite short. If a freshwater turtle consumes salt, it can damage the turtle's kidneys. Too much salt will lead to renal failure.

Some reptiles have developed alternative methods to deal with salt. In the case of the Kakadu and PNG form of Carettochelys insculpta, they have salt glands. The Daly River form of Carettochelys insculpta and all other freshwater Australian turtles do not have salt glands.

So my advice regarding feeding saltwater animals to freshwater turtles is simple: don't do it.

I know that we can eat saltwater animals with no ill effects, but we are not reptiles. Koala's do quite eating nothing more than certain species of Eucalyptus leaves, but I don't. I can eat onion, garlic and chocolate, but these foods can be bad for a dog.

It is important to not become confused with food being consumed equalling nutritionally good food. Just because a turtle eats the food you give to it does not make that food good for the turtle.

Regards,
Michael.

yup, brine shrimp have a high salt content and no goor for turts as michael has stated

what about mycies shrimp? (dunno how to spell it)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back