Brissie Coastal Carpet - Whistling sound? Respiratory Prob?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rodentrancher

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hi all, a bit worried about the Coastal we got from Mark(Fuscus). I had it out of the enclosure last night, and heard a whistling sound when it was breathing. I'm going to see if I can track down a vet here in the Riverland who knows anything about reptiles. I think the big guy might have a respiratory disease. We've had it now for at least 2 months - it has had one shed, but hasn't eaten at all. It rarely tastes the air with its tongue, which we find rather strange. It spends a lot of time in its water bowl, but moves around the enclosure a fair bit as well between the warm and cool areas. I hope I can find a good vet here, would hate to lose him. Cheers Cheryl

It has something blocking its nose. Have heard that with carpets. Mine also just started eating last week after 2 months.

Sound respitory,- heat the warm end up a bit more. If the animal is in a busy part of the house or being handled or taken in and out of its tank to oftern this will also stress animal out enough to get a resp-prob.
Rob

Ok thanks Rob. The Coastal hasn't been handled that much. He's a nice placid fella tho. The temp under the basking light is about 32C. Do you think we need a stronger globe than a 60w? And do you think I should get him to a vet asap? Cheryl

If you can find a good herp vet, yes if not no, and ring a good herp vet up. Ive seen snakes taken to a non-herp vet before and they can make a minor prob major. Or take it to a vet and get them to ring Clayton Knight(deception bay), he will point them in the right directoin, or Geckodan.
Rob

Sorry no a 60 watt should be heaps enough as long as it stays on constantly and animal can get away from it if it needs to to cool down. If its on a thermostat and turning on and off all the time it may make the prob worse. With respitory infections they need a constant hot spot and as long as the infection is mild,ie type 1 pnemonia the acsess to constant heat should solve the prob without the use of drugs.
Rob

The light is on constantly Rob. We live in an uninsulated shed at the moment, so can get pretty cool over night. And it can get to plenty of cool spots if required. Thanks for the info on Clayton Knight.

Ok, got the Brissie Coastal to the vet yesterday arvo. Thank goodness he was quite knowledgeable about snakes. He's worked on some of the local Bredl's Reptile Park's snakes. Our Brissie definately has a respiratory disease - no blockage or mucus up his nose that we could see. Seems he's lost a fair bit of condition due to lack of appetite(one of the symptoms of the disease) he's over 5 ft long and only weighs 1.2kg. Anyway he's on a 7 day course or longer if need be of 0.02ml of Baytril. Dave has to give him a jab every night. We expected the bill to be way higher than the $56 we paid. And that included the Baytril. Whatever, its worth it to make sure the poor fella gets well again. Even after the one dose yesterday I reckon he looks a bit brighter I reckon. Cheers Cheryl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back