Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, then let them slow down if they want, I feed mine once a week from now up to 2nd month of winter then nothing until spring.

also mine have gotten a bit picky choosy when it comes to food they eat the occasional woody or cricket but seem to mainly accept snails so I dust them with calcium and now and then vitamins as best I can without build up of powder & break the shell a bit for them so do you have any input on that at all because I stress that there not getting enough variety at this time?

i dont keep lizards but my snakes are on the way out, diamond has slowed right down, and one of the bredli i havent seen out much at all

also mine have gotten a bit picky choosy when it comes to food they eat the occasional woody or cricket but seem to mainly accept snails so I dust them with calcium and now and then vitamins as best I can without build up of powder & break the shell a bit for them so do you have any input on that at all because I stress that there not getting enough variety at this time?
They do tend to get picky as it gets colder.

does everyone change the temps in they're enclosures eg lower them a bit? or just leave them the way they are? Do you reduce feeding since they're brumating?

They do tend to get picky as it gets colder.

fair enough then. You are a great help cheers just one more thing come next year say they are ready to breed they have healthy weight and all's good would you say to let them breed because I really don't want to separate them in case they sulk and get depressed what's your take on breeding

fair enough then. You are a great help cheers just one more thing come next year say they are ready to breed they have healthy weight and all's good would you say to let them breed because I really don't want to separate them in case they sulk and get depressed what's your take on breeding
Yes, don't separate angleheads, I had a female die years ago and the male literally sulked to death. They can be a little finicky that way. If they are male and female they will breed if they want to, you don't really need to try with angleheads, they either will or they wont.

Probably a dumb question: Are reptiles STIFF when they brumate?

I have looked up what the term "brumate" means in my native language, German, and back-translated it literally means "to fall into cold stiffness" :) .

Yes, don't separate angleheads, I had a female die years ago and the male literally sulked to death. They can be a little finicky that way. If they are male and female they will breed if they want to, you don't really need to try with angleheads, they either will or they wont.

ok cool thanx mate ura legend

Hey guys since we are chatting about this - I don't change my temps for winter but obviously the nights are colder and my lizards (beardie and ackie) are slowing down a bit ATM, the beardie won't take veggies and will have the occasional cricket and the ackie is still eating fine but spends alot more time in his barrow... I still offer my beardie fresh veggies every day just incase- but I usually slow down the cricket intake over winter to what they will take, I will always offer food...... Should I be giving them significantly less food over winter ? And leave them to just snooz or keep up the routine feeding to whatever they take .....? Just want to hear people's opinions, thankkkss

Hey guys since we are chatting about this - I don't change my temps for winter but obviously the nights are colder and my lizards (beardie and ackie) are slowing down a bit ATM, the beardie won't take veggies and will have the occasional cricket and the ackie is still eating fine but spends alot more time in his barrow... I still offer my beardie fresh veggies every day just incase- but I usually slow down the cricket intake over winter to what they will take, I will always offer food...... Should I be giving them significantly less food over winter ? And leave them to just snooz or keep up the routine feeding to whatever they take .....? Just want to hear people's opinions, thankkkss

well my pygmys are bout 6months old and im trying to keep them active but they really want to sleep so idk

I end up turning the temps down a fair bit and they basically sleep through winter. I tried leaving the temps high, but because they hardly eat, they lost too much weight. If you lower the temps, they wont lose as much weight. Mine don't eat or do anything much for the whole time they are in brumation

Beardie has been down for three weeks now. I found as he gets older (old man now lol) over the years he sleeps a lot earlier and for longer.

The stumpy has been down since the last week of March... geckos are well and truly into their cooling cycle as well as the legless reptiles.

Last edited:
2 of 4 shingles have been gone for about 2 weeks now, last night a third joined them, the 4th however is still up and wandering around expecting to be fed,.... (all housed together,...weird that one is still super active)

beardies are all hugging their basking lights, no signs of slowing down yet,....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back