Building a cover for an aquarium

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Renenet

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I found a second-hand aquarium in decent condition to convert into an enclosure. The only thing it needs is a lid. I've spent the afternoon doing some research and coming up with something I might be able to make. If you DIYers could please critque it before I go ahead and make it, I'd appreciate it. I've also got a few questions.

A few points before I go ahead and describe it: It's for a yearling stimmie; I live in Cairns so loosing heat through the glass is not a problem, except maybe in the depths of winter; the aquarium is 91.3 cm long, 38.1 cm deep and 45.5 cm high; and the glass is between 5 to 6 mm thick.

I plan to make something like what's pictured in post #10 in http://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/diy-zone-5392/making-screen-tops-fish-tanks-164219/, only for a snake I prefer the knitted shade cloth depicted in post #20 of http://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/...snake-enclosure-fly-screen-door-143004/page/2.

I also won't need a UV light, or probably even a heat lamp, though I'd like to have the ability to add some kind of heating if I decide I need it later. I suspect my stimmie probably won't eat in winter anyway, although if someone thinks she needs heat for her health, please speak up. I understand it can get down to 14 or 15 at night during a Cairns winter.

What I'm thinking is to make a wooden frame with two separate doors that would be hinged from a beam in the middle, perpendicular to the longest side. I'll attach the shade cloth with those spiky rectangular metal things and make it look neat by covering it up with a thinner layer of wood.

Attaching it to the aquarium so that it can't be pushed or knocked off is the curly part. I was thinking of doing the same as the person in post #10: glue some wood to the aquarium, screw the lid into it at the middle and use some latches to hold the doors down. Only problem is I'd need a drill, which I don't have - unless you can screw things in with brute force.

Finally, I like the look of the bare wood but would like to protect it. I'm thinking a few coats of sealant would do it.

Can anyone think of any ways to improve my design? Is there any easier way to do it? Can I get away with not having a drill? What kind of glue would hold wood to glass? What's the best sealant?

Also, would it be advisable to cut vents into the side of the glass? I know I'd have to get a glazier to do this and that it could be expensive.

Thanks,
Renenet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back