Bulging white eye on BHP

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ninety3

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
Hi guys. I noticed today that my pythons right eye is swollen and white, but his left seems normal. Is this part of the shedding process or something more serious?

Please see attached pics...

If it helps, she last shed about 4-5 weeks ago and is 13 months old.

Attachments

• IMG_2033.jpg
    IMG_2033.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 344
  • IMG_2032.jpg
    IMG_2032.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 424
Not normal, the scales around the nose/mouth don't seem right either, any chance of better photos?

The damage to the nose is from her striking at the glass when she was younger. I thought it would heal after a few sheds.

Attachments

• IMG_2036.jpg
    IMG_2036.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 282
  • IMG_2035.jpg
    IMG_2035.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 266
  • IMG_2034.jpg
    IMG_2034.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 245
could just be the last slough , a warm bath or just spray with warm water to soften it ,Dont go pulling at it though !!!!!!!
if you see it loosening give it a while and repeat if that dose'nt work go the vet

good luck

- - - Updated - - -

Ninety3 said:
The damage to the nose is from her striking at the glass when she was younger. I thought it would heal after a few sheds.
Thats some serious glass striking :evil:

take it to a reptile vet, that is not normal at all and looks serious. you don't want it losing an eye or its life by sitting around speculating wether is from a bad shed or from striking the glass.

it wouldnt be a burn, the heat lamp is too far away from her reach. Ill try a warm water spray.

When i first got her 6 months ago, she would lash out at the glass whenever she could see anyone near the glass, even from a few meters away. I wasnt too concerned because i had read that they would grow out of it and assumed the damage to the nose scales would heal after a few sheds. It does look better now than what it did a few months ago. Should I talk her to a vet about it? She still strikes but nowhere near as often.

Herp Vet mate, don't want it to turn out worse!

Get better little BHP! :)

Mate this can be caused by the eye drain which is inside the mouth getting blocked or swelling due to infection take it to your vet and have him inspect the mouth, a snakes eye has liquid between the eye and the protective scale that fills and drains daily to keep the eye lubricated if the drain does not drain the eye swells , I've seen this a few times before .
But the marks on the nose from trauma of hitting the cage could be causing infection in the mouth like canker which would block the drain get into your vet as soon as you can mate

Has she been eating normally recently cos she looks pretty thin, although that could be the angle
of the pics?

Mate this can be caused by the eye drain which is inside the mouth getting blocked or swelling due to infection take it to your vet and have him inspect the mouth, a snakes eye has liquid between the eye and the protective scale that fills and drains daily to keep the eye lubricated if the drain does not drain the eye swells , I've seen this a few times before .
But the marks on the nose from trauma of hitting the cage could be causing infection in the mouth like canker which would block the drain get into your vet as soon as you can mate

Thanks guys, I will get to a vet tomorrow.

Last edited:
Good. The eye thing was the spectacle not removed from her last shed and as a result she has a bit of an infection but he cleaned it out and put some ointment on it.
I have some antibiotics to inject every 2 days then I gotta go back for a check up in two weeks.

Good luck with that, hope she recovers fast.

Good work, nice to see someone not afraid to pay the vet bill.

Just on the whole bad shed thing.
Its a good idea to check the skin when it comes off and look for the spectacle particularly.
If this happens again you may want to look at your humidity/husbandry. Retained shed can cause blindness if not attended to early on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back