Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

alexr

Reaction score
Went for a bush walk with the kids today to see what we could see.

Appart from the usual couple of EWD we came across a freshly killed Ramphotyphlops Nigrescens (Blackish Blind Snake). There were lots of Mountain Bike activity in the area and I assume it just got in the way :(

Also several dead large yabbies including this monster (guess somthing got in the water from all this rain we have been having.

All in all it was a great way to spend the afternoon - shame they were all dead though.

Wow nice pics too, that yabby is huge! prob a bit cold today for the snakes to be out and about..

Lucky find too shame it was dead though..

pugsly said:
prob a bit cold today for the snakes to be out and about..
Yeah - but there were moments where it felt like the sun was about to pop through the clouds.... and it was nice walking weather...

True beats 46 degrees i guess..

Hope we find something in a few weeks time out there!

That's not a Cherax desttuctor (yabby).
Looks more like a murray cray.

Magpie said:
That's not a Cherax desttuctor (yabby).
Looks more like a murray cray.

Yeah - its not like anything I have seen before. And there was more than one - but they were all dead.

I would love to know exactly what it is.... very pretty colours and quite sizable....

Looks like quite a big blind snake. I remember finding one as a kid but it was nowhere near that long.

thats a yabbie this is a Murray Crayfish

P1030027.jpg

Im probably wrong but it looks like a small fresh water cray to me :)
we get heaps of them down here, they look a lil differant but about the same size and colour :D

A standard Yabbie is Cherax destructor and they do not have those spines.

Do you all have marron down there? Hey farmdog that picture you put in looks a lot like the "yabbie" just cooked!

don't mind me Marron (Cherax tenuimanus) is native to western australia, probably didn't wander across to NSW

Does that mean you can still eat it. Although I bet it wouldn't taste as good as marron.

peterjohnson64 said:
Did ya eat it Alex????

peterjohnson64 said:
Does that mean you can still eat it. Although I bet it wouldn't taste as good as marron.

Little hungry are we Pete? LOL.

Don't think that one would have tasted to good - especially if its smell was anything to go by.

I reckon it looks similar to farmdog's picture (but un-cooked of course)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back