Buying a new Stimson's Python and need help!!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mcgreh

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey guys!

I'm from Perth, W.A. I just applied for my category 3 license (so that I will be able to get my first snake:D) and I would like to get myself a Stimmy (Stimson's Python/Anatresia stimsoni). I've been doing a whole bunch of research, but - to be honest; I can't find all to much that is specific and relevant to the snake I would like to get. A good friend of mine is a reptile/lizard/everything-living genious, and is friends with a snake handler, however I still find it hard to solidate any useful information from them.

So far I have mustered this much:
  • I would like to get a 60cm (L) x 45cm (D) x 45cm (H) terrarium
  • I would like a Stimmy
  • I need a heating light and thermostat (to roughly 36 C)
  • I need various hides
  • I need a water bowl
  • And I have looked into feeding.

What I need to know is the specifics of what kind of lighting (do I actually need a day light/night light/UV light) or just a black heating bulb, do I need a heat-mat? Do I need a heat-rock? Do I need specific substrate? What do I need to know or control to do with shedding? Different's in temparaments of different sexes. Whether to buy a hatchling, yearling, or older python? and pricing.:shock:

Basically the necessities.

Any contributions and informations will be greatly appreciated!:p

mate get rid of the heating light and replace it with a heatmat. Connect it to a thermostat and set it to 32 degrees.
36 is too high. a thermostat on a basking light will blow the lamp.
Also keep the snake (if it is a baby) in small plastic container search for click clack and you will see.
A fully grown stimmie would better suit a 90cm enclosure.
All the best with it mate.

mate get rid of the heating light and replace it with a heatmat. Connect it to a thermostat and set it to 32 degrees.
36 is too high. a thermostat on a basking light will blow the lamp.
Also keep the snake (if it is a baby) in small plastic container search for click clack and you will see.
A fully grown stimmie would better suit a 90cm enclosure.
All the best with it mate.

Thanks Grogshla.

So what lighting should I use? Or none at all, and just use the heat-mat? And I looked into a click-clack before, thanks!

Stimmis are a great first snake and you can't really go wrong, They're members of the anatresia family which are the smaller pythons. You dont nessesarily need a light for heat, they will do just as well with a heat mat or cord which i find to be alot easier to use. They sit underneath the enclosure (Assuming its glass) and can be monitored with a thermostat. Lighting other then heat (If you choose a cord) is purely for aesthetics so that you can see what your friend is up to & also arguably for their well being to replicate their natural day/night understanding.

Hides provide your python with security which will help prevent stress so they are essential, water bowl is self explanitory but make sure its on the cooler side of your enclosure. You need a hot side and a cool side so that your python can move around depending on how hes feeling, whether he wants to warm up or cool down. Heat rocks arnt good at all, they seem to enjoy them but if/when they break, they break on the "On" position and usually heat alot hotter then they should and enevitably burn your snake. Avoid sand as substrate as it can give them belly problems, i use korkgranulat for my snakes. Its easily digested and very easy to clean.

Its upto you what age you buy a snake at. Hatchlings are often snappy and will bite you alot but do calm down with age, Its alot better to be bitten by an overly excited hatchling then a mature python though. Yearlings are developed in the sense that they know what food is and theyve "Worn in" so to speak but if you buy from a breeder theres a good chance it wont be tamed so you'll have to handle a bigger(then hatchling) python and risk getting bitten, if this is something youre afraid of then go the hatchling.

Hope this helped

well said variety.
mcgreh, I keep stimmies, childrens pythons and spotteds and keep them just on heatmats. They don't need light for heat. The only benefit of a light will be for replicating the day and night cycle. If you decide you want a light to do this then get a energy saving one that doesn't get hot or you could also use a led strip or even a fluro tube (make sure it has a uvb rating of no more than 2.0)
As for snappy hatchlings this is only half true. My stimmie has never been snappy at all. She has been a dream. It all depends on the individual snake and how you handle it. If you are concerned about the nature of a snake be sure to ask the breeder if the parents are docile and if the hatchy is docile. A snappy hatchy will more than likely calm down as it grows becoming less scared of being eaten by prey.

Click Clack / Heat Mat /Light (if ya want but most people dont due to small size of enclosure required for a stimi... just keep it small eg little strip light or similar) /Hide (small cardboard box lol)/ Water bowl....and def go for the hatchie tho i strongly recomend that u get one from a good breeder and it has a good feeding history come with it as they can be fussy little buggers....GL and U Will ENJOY

Thanks heaps Variety! Massive, massive help.
Thanks also to Grogshla and Ozimid, very insightful.

Now all I have to do is wait for my license to be approved and get my Stimmy! :D

- - - Updated - - -

Also just quickly: does anyone know of sellers in W.A? I live in the Northern Suburbs of Perth so ReptileTraders in Rockingham is a little out of the way. I have seen Stimmy's for around $400 at local pet stores.

Thanks heaps Variety! Massive, massive help.
Thanks also to Grogshla and Ozimid, very insightful.

Now all I have to do is wait for my license to be approved and get my Stimmy! :D

- - - Updated - - -

Also just quickly: does anyone know of sellers in W.A? I live in the Northern Suburbs of Perth so ReptileTraders in Rockingham is a little out of the way. I have seen Stimmy's for around $400 at local pet stores.

Stay away from pet shops

200/280 is the norm.... Try and pm Simone like Pilbara pythons

everyone seems to have answered everything, so i just wanted to say how nice it is to see someone preparing for their new pet instead of impulse buying and having no idea what to do next! good choice on the stimmy too, and congrats on getting your first snake.

All of the above is great advice and a 900w enclosure is a better size for an adult.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back