cage defensive?!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Meowninja

Reaction score
cage defensive?! help please.

Hi,

I've had my spotted python for around 6months, he is a 4yr old, 5ft, beautiful temperament once out of Enclosure.
I had him for about 4 months in a large tub. And he was nice friendly, would come out happily on his own, or you could legitimately just put your hand in and pick him up. He never even struck at me.
But 2 months ago, I put him in a actual enclosure, which is the correct size(though can't actually remember what the size is), he temp is fine, he is eating, shedding, all good. But as soon as anyone goes near the tank, he S-bends at them. He Strikes the glass, the hook, water bottle, etc..
Once out he is happy and pleasant.
Is there anything I can do to calm him down?
Is it possible the reaction could be because he might have been tubbed he's whole life?

Any information on cage defensive Pythons would be much appreciated. I've tried googling. Not very helpful. Thank you.

Last edited:
I had a murray darling that was as you say "cage defensive".

It's taken him 6 months to settle into a normal enclosure, as he was tub raised aswell.
I'd be placing a towel over the front of the enclosure and keeping it on there when there are most likely to be people walking past, also keep the snake at a height it may be more comfortable (mine sits at around shoulder height.)

Give him a bit of time to settle in, maybe even leave the towel over the front for a week or so and gradually lessen the time it stays on there over a period of time.

Other than that, be patient he will calm down in time.

Paul

Thanks, I was considering moving him back to a tub if he doesn't settle down.

I might try and move it up higher. And I've left him covered and let him settle for about 1-2 weeks with the change.
But I'll try again.

It's a defensive reaction to not feeling safe, and hence being stressed out in the new enclosure. Make sure the enclosure isn't too big(3x2x2 - 4x2x2 is as big as you'd go) and there are plenty of hides or safe places for it, as well as other options suggested above.

It's a defensive reaction to not feeling safe, and hence being stressed out in the new enclosure. Make sure the enclosure isn't too big(3x2x2 - 4x2x2 is as big as you'd go) and there are plenty of hides or safe places for it, as well as other options suggested above.

Yeah, i know its from not feeling safe, but I'm thinking that is because of the glass doors, so he can see everything, i think it is more confronting for him then the tub was. But I've been trying to let him settle in some more,
It is a fine size, it was made for another spotted, though it is on the smaller part of correct. (still a bit larger then the tub he was in.
he has a hide, and hides under the paper, due to the way the tank is built, I can only have 1 hide in there as he is a large spotted.
But thanks.

I'll give the snake more hiding places and feed the snake in a tub and not it's cage.

How come to feed in a tub and not its cage???

I find with my snakes (both pythons and elapids) that feeding them outside there cage in tubs reduces the risk of them thinking movement around the door means food is coming. I also use hide/trap/feeding containers for my larger elapids in their cages to avoid them having substrate sticking to their food items. Also if I have more than 1 animal in a cage easier to remove then once they enter the hide/trap/feeding box.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back