Can anyone identify this species of skink?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mystic_herps

Reaction score
Anyone know what species this is?
skink1.jpg

skink2.jpg

skink3.jpg

skink4.jpg

It was found at Ryde (Sydney)
Here is what the poster has to say...

Hi All -
I found a weird (well, I found a few) few weird looking skinks while watering my plants this morning.I am familar with both the fence skink and the common garden skink - but this doesn't look like either. He/She is in a takeaway container - so it is only small. About the size of the common garden skink (only more elongate).

Thanks professor.
I am trying to find info for another bloke on another list,hopefully someone can identify it for him...

Sydneys a bit far south for the elongata so I believe Watty's hit it on the head with his selection :) Well done Wattso old boy :)

How about Saproscincus mustelinus. the weasel skink. The flecks on the back are more in keeping.
I recall hearing something about the species examples on the Sydney North Shore being redefined??????

All photos of lampropholis delicata I have show distinctly darker sides than their top. They are really common on the Gold Coast and have a copper sheen on their head (At least the Gold coast form) and all photos I have show a red eye.
Here is the only photo I have taken of one http://150.101.58.70/thumbnails.php?id=Skink_wall_Skink . Its younger than your animal mysty and not a great photo for identifying.

Now I have said what I think is isn't, I suppose it is only fair to say what I think it is so someone else can say I?m wrong.

It could be the challenger skink Lampropholis (or Saproscincus) challengeri
http://150.101.58.70/thumbnails.php?id=Skink_Leaf_Litter_Skink .There seems to be at least three forms, two undescribed, including one found in Sydney. Another possibility is Lampropholis mustelina. Both are litter skinks, their preferred habitat is amongst fallen leafs.

Hi mystic,
It looks to me that you have one of the saproscincus, but to which one I dont know, where did you you find it, what state suburb etc etc.
My first thought was Saproscincus challengeri

I did say "could be".........why not get your friend to take it to the australian museum and have a real expert identify it? they all look similar from my "armchair!" :wink:

marc said:
Hi mystic,
It looks to me that you have one of the saproscincus, but to which one I dont know, where did you you find it, what state suburb etc etc.
My first thought was Saproscincus challengeri

I will put $10 on it

mystic can I send the photos to my freinds at the Qld Museum

Yea no worries.
I will let the owner know,as he is keen on finding out what species it is.

ok I will put it on a new thread so look out for it over the next couple of days

from the are it came from its deffenatly saproscincus but which one I have change my mind from challangeri to either rosei or musleliney

I got a reply back from Steve Wilson Qld Museum and its a Weasel Skink Saproscincus mustilimus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back