can bearded dragons see infra-red?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
not sure mate but a lot of people including myself have stated that blue/black/red lights and bulbs when used at night, have had a negative effect on our reptiles normal behaviour, eating and sleeping patterns. The best thing for dragons is a good white basking light and a uvb tube. If temps are low at night then use a ceramic heat emitter.
best of luck mate

my beardies always seemed tired and no energy when i used red globes, so i changed to ceramics and they actually curl up and sleep at night until the uvb timer kicks in in the morning.

my EWD really didnt like them, i couldnt work out why i was going through globes so quickly, then 1 day i saw her up on the highest part of the enclosure, jumping and headbutting the light, over and over , until it blew. again, ceramic heat and she was fine after that.

another plus side is they have now had the same globes for 18months now. so the expensive ceramics are alot cheaper in the long run too,lol

No.

Lizards of any kind are unable to see infra-red. They can see further into the violet end of the spectrum than we can.

Their ability to detect infra-red is basically the same as ours. When absorbed by the skin it has a warming effect, which you can feel. On a cloudy day in summer, there is plenty of light but there is no where near as much warmth comes from the sunlight because most of the infra-red is blocked by the clouds. So we don't feel the warmth. Yet there is still plenty of UVB gets through and you can end up easily getting sunburnt, because the normal warming sensation that warns you when you are exposed to sunlight is not there.

I agree with Groshla. A lot of the so called "night lights" emit enough visible light to affect diurnal lizards. Don’t use them. Your lizards are not going to be active at night so use heat cord or ceramic heat emitters.

Night lights are great for nocturnal lizards. Their eyes are adapted to very low light conditions and they do see red and blue very well. This means you can observe your geckoes under these lights without their normal behaviours being altered. I should add here to make sure the entire bulb is coloured and there is no gap where white light is emitted.

Blue

PS Maddog, that is one clever EWD you have there!!

bluey she was very talented, it's a pity i sold her just as i'd taught her to fetch a beer for me too. :-(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back