Can I fit thicker glass in 5mm bunnings tracks?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BigWillieStyles

Reaction score
Hello all,

well I have been making slow progress on my enclosure. It just needs some glass now and it will be ready. I am using the bunnings tracks which allow for 5mm glass but am a little worried about the gap (for escapees) in between the bit where it overlaps. I believe that if I were to use thicker glass then this gap would be reduced, right? So I was wondering if any other members have been able to fit 6mm into these tracks?

Thanks

William

i use 5mm plate with the bunnings tracks. nothing has ever escaped though the over lap.

then again, i dont keep hatchies in anything with a glass front.

Using 5mm for years with no probs, however I do use a weatherseal tape in between to keep crickets in.

if you have some hatchies just cut a bit of cardboard and slide it inbetween the gap. or you can get pinch weld to slide over the edge of the glass.

i prefer to keep anything that could get out of that small gap in a tub until it's appropriate size so not had the problem. You could also allow for a little more overlap between the two pieces of glass as a bit of a safety buffer. Also the gap in between the glass also provides a little ventilation so i'd prefer not to block it up.

I have a pygmy stimi that i wanna put in a viv i have but am worried she will squeeze through the over lap. she is about as round as a 10c piece and about 55cm long. how do other people deal with this? i was thinking weather seal.

Be watchful as some will be able to move cardboard. Most people don't give Antaresia credit for the strength in ther little skinkheaded skulls.

As Stu says keep small snakes in a tub until bigger

if you have some hatchies just cut a bit of cardboard and slide it inbetween the gap. or you can get pinch weld to slide over the edge of the glass.

i prefer to keep anything that could get out of that small gap in a tub until it's appropriate size so not had the problem. You could also allow for a little more overlap between the two pieces of glass as a bit of a safety buffer. Also the gap in between the glass also provides a little ventilation so i'd prefer not to block it up.

I think that sounds like a good suggestion. I was planning on getting some Pygmy Mulga Monitors or Henry Lawson dragons. After seeing both of these at the local pet store, I got a bit worried as the hatches look a lot smaller than I have expected. The weather seal idea sounds reasonable as well.

Short answer no.

Cheers Brenton

Using 5mm for years with no probs, however I do use a weatherseal tape in between to keep crickets in.

I do the same, I also did it with the Green Treen Snakes as they were able even at full grown to get their heads through the gap.

I went to the local petstore today and noiced that they had similar tracks and had some very small lizards/snakes in them so am feeling a lot more confident. Just ordered the glass as well.

I have 6mm Glass in 5mm track. Unfortunately I purchased the enclosure like that. (The tracks were also mounted wrong)
One track is o.k. until you get a bit of substrate in it, but the other glass is a pane to get open as I have to lift and slide at the same time.
Will be fixing this in the near future.

You can use 6mm glass in 5mm track if you are willing to sit on the floor for a few good hrs fileing away the difference. Its hard to do but if you cant get the track to suit the glass you have,, Like what i had,, then there is no option. You will only close up the gap about 1mm anyway. But to answer the initial question,, YES you can !!

My glass slides quite normal too, getting that to happen is the hard part.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back