Can some one please respond.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ashman07

Reaction score
I am just wondering if it is to late to cool shinglebacks. I Have put 4 of them in with my blotched blue tongue that was in the middle of cooling in an eclosure in my garage and they have gone straight to sleep. One of them is coming out to pask every day. They are in a garage and I am wondering if it is possible that they could have babies this year and also if it is ok that i put them straight into cooling with out easing them into it. They still get 7 hours of heat and light but with no heating at night. I am in Victoria.

May as well do it mate. If it works we know that it does and if it doesn't, well, we still guess. It appears that shinglebacks only breed once every two years on average anyway (according to some bloke I heard talk the other night). did they breed last year?

This same bloke who spoke on Friday reckons that the only way to sex blue tongues is by getting them to have babies. if you do that with two then the one who gives birth is a female and the other a male. He seemed to know abit about them as well. His name was Shea or something like that.

LOL, is that a joke, i have never herd of a male giving birth, well except seah horses. They guy I bought them off said the big one was a female, so maybe it had babies before. I was really wondering if it is ok to put them straight into a cooled enclosure in a garage and if they would get sick or not. thanks for the help

Just keep an eye on them,sometimes they can get respiretory infections if not cooled gradually.Not saying they will just keep an eye on them, good luck.

ok thanks a heap. Are they likely to breed with only 3-4 weeks of cooling or will they defintly need more. The only reason i can only cool them for 3-4 weeks is because i put them in with my 2 blotched blue tongues and they have been in cooling for a few months allready.

Re: RE: Can some one please respond.

peterjohnson64 said:
May as well do it mate. If it works we know that it does and if it doesn't, well, we still guess. It appears that shinglebacks only breed once every two years on average anyway (according to some bloke I heard talk the other night). did they breed last year?

He did say that, but he was refering to shingles in the wild and not captive bred ones. So it is quite possible, in captivity, they could reproduce every year.

The guy who gave the talk was Glenn Shea, he did his Phd on the blue tongue family.

RE: Re: RE: Can some one please respond.

That name rings a bell, is that the same guy that had an article in the national geographical magazing many years ago on shinglebacks. If so, When I was about 10 I tried to ring him many times. He goes to the desert every year too look for them or somthing like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back