can u keep a Brown Snake ??

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HypnoticSlither

Reaction score
i just want to know if you can keep a brown snake? if so what type of licence do you need? and if you can handle them?
im just curious as i think they are freaking gorgous...unfortunately the only live ones i have seen have been killed.

and live i meant by non picture/photo form

URS had them for $80!
I don't know anything about the ven market but I was amazed at that price

I played with many venomous snakes
apart from the coastal taipan brownies would have to be possibly the most dangerous of all to play with
in my opinion they are incredibly quick and seldom do dry bites like most other snakes
I would definitely not recommend them as first or even last ven to get if you want a handle-able snake
There are very few people who regularly handled them who have not had at least very close calls or worse
YES
They are very beautiful

URS had them for $80!
I don't know anything about the ven market but I was amazed at that price

The market for these puppies wouldn't be exactly booming! I think they are cool but I don't see one in the snake room any time soon. Not during this marriage anyway!

interesting.... from basic knowledge of the brownie i would think that they would be hard to handle. So people can keep them but they do not handle them...they would use hook rod things to pick them up yes?
i do not think i would ever get one. But i'm going to the zoo this weekend to see the snakes ..so hopefully i will see one. The funny thing is if you took me to the zoo a month ago i would not go anywhere near the snakes hehe

Sorry to hijack the thread a little, but whats the "ideal" first ven? iv seen a few people have adders as their first but iv heard adders offer little warning before striking, is that true? id really like a RBB later on down the track and im doing my ven handling course soon so im on my way :)

G'day Ash,

It's a matter of personal opinion. In my opinion, Red Bellies, Collett's and Spotted Blacks make the best introduction to keeping elapids. They are a useful learning tool that is very forgiving to both handling and husbandry mistakes, but still require you to be vigilant due to their enthusiastic feeding response.

Adders don't teach a novice handler anything - they sit on hooks, their feeding response is easy to judge etc. The other major problem is that they are very difficult to physically handle if the situation arrives. For example, Adders are one of the most difficult Australian snakes to head restrain - they have very spongy jaws, large mobile fangs and love to twist their bodies all over the place. They can easily go from very safe to very dangerous in a split second.

Agree with Jonno on Adders. I think people say they are the best beginner snake because they are generally hands off and aren't going to come thumping out of their enclosure at 100 miles an hour, this is all well and good until you have to start force feeding, assisting with poor sheds, medicating etc. they are going to teach you nothing about dealing with a 2metre Brown.

I have been doing relocations over this last season 99% brown snakes and I sometimes handle other peoples captives, Tigers, Browns, Adders. I am still not confident that I have the skills neccesary to keep these snakes in captivity, except for the fact that I have access to many years of knowledge and experience.

So in my opinion the best beginner VENS are someone elses, or try and get involved in relocations. This way you are able to get hands on with out neccesarily jumping in the deep end.

I would recommend one of the rear fanged snakes as a first ven as they are generally less likely to kill you
that way you can learn without too much danger
If you really wanted elapids then red belly black every time for me
in saying that I have rarely played with collets

Totally agree about adders
either pussycats or devils on the same day and though they look fat and lazy there is a lot of power and agility
in that little body if you need to hold them

I believe in SA, EB's are allowed to be kept by properley licenced relocators (correct me if I'm wrong, please), are very common locally and, as Grizz mentioned, not the most popular in many peoples eyes all of which may contribute to the low price. I for one would like to see more captive bred EB's available to the hobby (not that there's anything wrong with the SA system).

Agree with Jonno on Adders. I think people say they are the best beginner snake because they are generally hands off and aren't going to come thumping out of their enclosure at 100 miles an hour, this is all well and good until you have to start force feeding, assisting with poor sheds, medicating etc. they are going to teach you nothing about dealing with a 2metre Brown.

I have been doing relocations over this last season 99% brown snakes and I sometimes handle other peoples captives, Tigers, Browns, Adders. I am still not confident that I have the skills neccesary to keep these snakes in captivity, except for the fact that I have access to many years of knowledge and experience.

So in my opinion the best beginner VENS are someone elses, or try and get involved in relocations. This way you are able to get hands on with out neccesarily jumping in the deep end.

you say you are a re locater..... is that if someone finds i snake in there home,shed,etc you come and get them?

I played with many venomous snakes
apart from the coastal taipan brownies would have to be possibly the most dangerous of all to play with
in my opinion they are incredibly quick and seldom do dry bites like most other snakes
I would definitely not recommend them as first or even last ven to get if you want a handle-able snake
There are very few people who regularly handled them who have not had at least very close calls or worse
YES
They are very beautiful

Actually a study by Whitaker, Ellis and Shine 'The defensive strike of the Eastern Brownsnake' shows that 'the snakes were surprisingly tolerant of harassment, especially at body temperatures similar to those that they exhibit in the field during the activity season.....Most snakes gave prior warning to the strike... Some 25% of strikes were bluff.' They go on to say 'Contrary to popular opinion, Eastern Brownsnakes are reluctant to deliver firm bites in response to human harassment even when continually provoked. It is estimated that only 15% of the strikes recorded had the potential to cause significant envenomation.'
I would have to say that in my experience here in North Queensland, catching and handling wild Eastern Browns that I fully agree with them.

That's normal price for a Common EB.

I'm surprised they are even that expensive :lol: I must say, I love the look of the speckled browns. Their prices have blown through the roof in recent times and don't seem to pop up all that often.

I sold my adder recently and I never once had to touch it (tickled its tail on the odd occasion, but never had to touch it :p)

Actually a study by Whitaker, Ellis and Shine 'The defensive strike of the Eastern Brownsnake' shows that 'the snakes were surprisingly tolerant of harassment, especially at body temperatures similar to those that they exhibit in the field during the activity season.....Most snakes gave prior warning to the strike... Some 25% of strikes were bluff.' They go on to say 'Contrary to popular opinion, Eastern Brownsnakes are reluctant to deliver firm bites in response to human harassment even when continually provoked. It is estimated that only 15% of the strikes recorded had the potential to cause significant envenomation.'
I would have to say that in my experience here in North Queensland, catching and handling wild Eastern Browns that I fully agree with them.

wow thats amazing. :)

Just a bit off topic, but yes they are a beautiful snake, and there are plenty of live, healthy EB's where i live, was lucky enuff to watch one hunt and tag a field mouse in the wild few years back... :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back