Cape York Jungle

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DanielM

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey guys
I was just wondering about Cape York Jungle Pythons.
I saw one at the SOFAR expo and they are just such a beautiful snake. I've been thinking about adding to the "collection" and figured, hey they're a nice snake why not a Cape York.
So my questions :
1. How large do they grow?
2. Temperment? I've heard that Jungles are live chainsaws. Thoughts?
3. Habitat? As they are a northern snake does this mean the tempertaure and such must be closely checked?
4. Does anyone own one and would like to share there thoughts on owning them?
5. Someone please post a picture they are practically eye candy haha!

I'm kinda a newbie and own a Spotted Python and a Beardie, so yeah....
Thanks!! :)

I can assist with some of your points.

We bought one at the SOFAR Expo (my wife fell in love with them...despite me reminding her about the 'chainsaw' thing....). It gave 3 tags and half a dozen head butts when first handled. It has not bitten or headbutted since and is handled pretty well daily. It ate 2 days after arriving home and was given gentle handling - She is a pig when it comes to food! She is in shed at the moment...Her skin has gone quite dark over the last week, and last night here eyes were milky. She handled pretty much identically to normal.

She is a very 'alert' snake and much more aware of her surroundings than our other snakes. She is very quick if she wants to be, and quite lively. If handled badly I predict she may give a tag, but we have deliberately started to make the odd movement around here that might unease her with no negative result. She is now handled by our children with no ill effects to date.

I believe they grow to around the same sizes as other Jungles. I have her in a clik clak with the warm end at 31-32, and cold end at ambient.

I would not hesitate getting another if I had the need or desire.....She has been a nice snake and quite different in character/movement/looks to my other Morelia. Another local also bought a male and I believe his experience is similar to mine. He took it to the last Herp Club meeting where it spent a lot of time being handled during the meeting - it does not seem to have any temperament issues.

Hope that helps....

Would it be possible for you to post a picture?

I will see what pics I have....We took some when we first got her but from memory they were not that great. She is currently in shed and has gone extremely dark so would not present her in her correct colours if I took more at the moment.

Will take a look and see what I have.

EDIT: Just found the ones I had taken just after we got her.

IMG_6714s.jpgIMG_6713s.jpgIMG_6711s.jpgIMG_6709s.jpgIMG_6707s.jpg

They're not that bad.
She's has beautiful colours.
Thank you for sharing! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back