Carbon Tax...What do you think???

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fugawi

Reaction score
I can't understand how the government still is pushing this when almost all Australia is saying clearly "NO".

Please play nicely.:)

So why do you think it will be good? Serious question.

most of the crew i talk with say yes. it's the right thing to do and by most accounts he best way to do it.

There needs to be a redistribution of costs so that the polluters pay the real cost which will in turn encourage more sensitive use of energy. At the moment the polluters are getting a free ride by not paying the true cost for the carbon they produce.

This sounds wonderful but won't the polluters just put the tax in their costs and raise their prices? If so, then they don't pay....WE do.

This new tax will not do a single thing to ease the so called climate change
problem, What it will do is fatten the governments balance sheet and drive more manufacturing off shore and cost jobs in the Australian work force.

I have a close friend that has began to make arrangements to set up his manufacturing arm of business in China, Why because is going to be a lot cheaper, pure economics nothing more!

Last edited:
Generally i would say that the polluters are charging as much as they can . They are driven by profit not ethics! When the polluters put their prices up it makes ethical production more competitive. We are already paying the cost of the polluter but it is not obvious. Fly over Musselbrook and look at the moonscape below.Creeks are turning toxic as the mines produce acid water. The wire on my farm fences rusts out 10 times quicker than before I was near the mines.

Tougher laws on pollution is a better way, not a tax.

This new tax will not do a single thing to ease the so called climate change
problem, What it will do is fatten the governments balance sheet and drive more manufacturing off shore and cost jobs in the Australian work force.

I have a close friend that has began to make arrangements to set up his business in China, Why because is going to be a lot cheaper, pure economics nothing more!
Perhaps the Government should consider import duty on unethical production. If you are after the cheapest production then offsure is the way to go, Countries which have minimal OH&S, child labour and minimal environmental control will have cheaper (in terms of dollars) costs.

Tougher laws on pollution is a better way, not a tax.
To enforce the laws you need a fine or tax.

Unless the big polluters like China make real changes, our carbon tax will do nothing but drive up the cost of living and drive manafacturing offshore.

i am all for carbon tax, it is inevitable and a lot of other countries(mostly european countries) already have a carbon scheme inplace.
also, if you listen to the ray hadley and such, do not believe him. he isnt an expert in the feild, his show is purely opinionated. he claims we don't need a carbon tax because we only emit 1.5% of the worlds carbon, however that 1.5% is still 30 times the amount of carbon emitted for emission to be sustainable. he also rasies points about china being the worst emission, emitting 30% of the worlds carbon annually, however, in comparison australia uses 31GW of electrity every year and there is no going forward for australia to turn green with the kyoto protocal turned down, the emissons trading scheme turned down and now the carbon tax under scrutiny, when china last year alone generated 28GW of carbon neutral and renewable energy throght geothermal, biofuels, wind and hydro turbines and with a further 78GW to be renweable energy to be available by the end of 2011.
futhermore, a carbon is a price on carbon, right? this means people will be more conscience about how much power they are useing and where their power is coming from, this will lead to a reduction in carbon emissions because people will not be happy if their bills goes up so they will turn their lights of or use more efficent or sustainable methods.
moreover, the top 10% of income earners in australia with a salary over $150,000 pay 31% of tax, with this point and the fact that the revenue rasied from this will be going back into the community through health, construction such as road and also into the pockets of australians. i can honestly see why the carbon tax will be bad!

i was only young when the GST was introduced but am i the only one here having deja vu? i only see people panicing because they have to pay more money for something they cannot see. With that tony abbott is saying it is the end of the world, that julia gillard is (quote) "dumb" and going to send australians broke and that he is against it and he won't implement a carbon tax. haha and the irony being that in an interveiw in 2008 before he was elected leader of the liberal party he said that australia is heading towards a carbon tax and it will benefit not only the environment but australians also.

It is just something new and australians do not like change, we will get use to it eventually.

i dont know if the carbon tax will work or not,but what i do know,is that i will become unemployed if its brought in. the company i work for has stated that if the tax comes in,it will close all of their businesses in Oz and go overseas.
if thats the purpose of the tax,then great,it will do wot they want from it.if its not,then its going to hurt ppl like me more than it will help anyone else

I can't understand how the government still is pushing this when almost all Australia is saying clearly "NO".

Please play nicely.:)

I always find it amusing when someone believes they know what the rest of the country feels about the topic.
Politicians do it constantly and are very annoying with it.

I feel that many other countries are doing it (including NZ) to no huge economic disruptions.
We need to do something and unless a price is put on it (as with most things) nothing will be done.
Australia has an opportunity to harness many energies and and lead the world in R & D in this area.
Without a price on carbon there is no incentive to do so.

well matt,wen the company shuts its doors and im out of work, u better come down here and look after my family...u better get urself a good job to it as well mate.....u got no idea

Oh evey other country is doing so it must be good.... Manufacturing is already on its knees in Australia competing agaisnt cheaper imports this carbon tax will finish it along with our enconomy

Sent from my T8697 using Board Express

I do believe that we need to do something and make major changes but I don't believe in any way that the carbon tax is going to help. There are many other options that should be looked into first, and if a carbon tax was required to pay for something that will really help the environment then I would be happier to pay. As has been said all it will do is force prices up and we will be paying for more bureaucrats to sit in there ivory towers twiddling there thumbs.

My concern is the inefficency of government beaurocacy. If say 100 million was taken from the dirty polluters and the whole 100m went to the cleaner producers then that would be great and give incentives to clean up our act, but in reality it is likely a lot of the tax and consequent effect may be lost along the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back