Carnivorous plants - Photos

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: RE: My CP

junglepython2 said:
Wow there some healthy looking plants. Do yours dye back or do they remain that way year round?

Most actually go through some kind of seasonal change, however none of mine completely die back over winter... just stop growing... or they start producing smaller 'winter' leaves instead.

RE: Re: RE: My CP

Thanks Steff, if you kept them in "Summer" conditions year round would they continue to grow without any change?

RE: Re: RE: My CP

There so cool, if i had a sunny window, in my room i would probably get some.

Re: RE: Re: RE: My CP

junglepython2 said:
Thanks Steff, if you kept them in "Summer" conditions year round would they continue to grow without any change?

Yeah they would... however I've heard that they 'tire out' and tend to lead a shorter life (only two years or so depending on species). All the info I've gathered has been to respect their dormancies... so I do.

The Nepenthes are from tropical to sub-tropical climates so they dont have any dormancy at all. The tricky thing is keeping them happy with low temps and low humidity. Thats why I've only got a Ventricosa which is very tollerant to lower temps. If I were in QLD I'd probably go nuts with different species, but I just dont have that luxury in Perth, and I dont have the resources (time and space) to build a hot house for them.

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: My CP

but I just dont have that luxury in Perth, and I dont have the resources (time and space) to build a hot house for them.

One of mine lives in my jungles cage, seems to love it in there

i keep mine in a 3 foot fish tank in a suuny place in my room. i have sundews, fly traps and a pitcher plant. i ignore them most of the time but they seem fine. i planted them in coir and they seem to love it.

Ive got a vtf there cool.... 8)
Great pics there Steff-T
N.ventricosa, D.capensis were can i get them from are they avalible at nurserys, like the vtf?
P. morrii x. elhersae x. grandiflora this one looks great, How dose it catch, are the leaves sticky??
Cheers.

I just grow the Nepenthes in hanging pots in the garden :)
We even have a few native Nepenthes growing around the area, I keep promising to go look at them one day.

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: My CP

MDPython said:
Ive got a vtf there cool.... 8)
Great pics there Steff-T
N.ventricosa, D.capensis were can i get them from are they avalible at nurserys, like the vtf?

I started my hobby with the N.Ventricosa when I found it at a local nursery. I've also seen them selling at Bunnings a few times. The D.capensis was obtained from the best source of CP seeds, Allen Lowrie, who incidentally also lives in Perth, and has a massive mail order catalog. I've seen them on eBay though... which is another of my main sources. :)

MDPython said:
P. morrii x. elhersae x. grandiflora this one looks great, How dose it catch, are the leaves sticky??
Cheers.

Yep, its trap is a smaller versions of the sundew. Millions of tiny hairs with sticky glue. It tends to catch smaller prey like fruit flies and small ants.

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: My CP

Exellent thanks for that Steff-T and Magpie your Nepenthes are amazing i seen some pics a while back and they were what sparked my interest!!....
Love to see some wild ones.

Cheers. :)

Awesome pics Magpie :D I have a pitcher plant also.

Pythoness My plant is doing great so there's no reason why you couldnt keep one in Brissy :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back