Carnivorous plants

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
are those flowers from that plant? Any chance of pics of the whole plant and flowers?

I grow quite a few plants.

A few varieties of Sarracenias
A few varieties of Venus Fly Traps

But my main interest is Nepenthes.

I a few species and a number of hybrids and have some more on the way. I've forgotten a few but here is a list of the ones that come to mind that are growing out on my back deck.

Species
N. alata (three varieties and one hybrid)
N rafflesiana - white
N. rajah
N. stenophylla
N. ventricosa - red

Hybrids
N. lowii x campanulata
N. lowii x ampullaria x mira
N. lowii x truncata wide peristome
N. lowii x merrilliana-giant
N. lowii x veitchii x campanulata
N. ventricosa x sibuyanensis x merrilliana
N. Red Dragon

Kak

Last edited:
Thought i'd post a few photos of my plants. Some only arrived recently however the rain is really helping them to grow.

N. ventricosa x sibuyanensis x merrilliana pitcher
4.jpg

5.jpg

Nep lowii x veitchii x campanulata.jpg

N. lowii x merrilliana-giant pitcher
lowii x merri.jpg

Nep lowii x truncate wide peristome.jpg

Last edited:
Continuing on.

Another N. lowii x truncata wide peristome photo
lowii x trunc wide peristome.jpg

N. rajah
rajah.jpg

N. stenophylla
stenophylla.jpg

That's all for now.

Kak

Cheers mate, the one with the white flowers and forked leaves is Drosera binata(aussie native), the smaller red one is Drosera natalensis(south africa)

---------- Post added 06-Jan-11 at 12:10 AM ----------

Thought i'd post a few photos of my plants. Some only arrived recently however the rain is really helping them to grow.

N. ventricosa x sibuyanensis x merrilliana pitcher
View attachment 180315
View attachment 180316

View attachment 180317

N. lowii x merrilliana-giant pitcher
View attachment 180319

View attachment 180318

awesome collection :) if you have any struck cutting or seedlings i'd be keen on getting some, i have a whole bunch of cutting just starting to grow, possibly trade

Nepenthes is my addiction .....
Mainly hybrids atm ....

Miranda
ventricosa x ramispina
ventricosa x truncata
Alala Lantern
sibuyanensis x ramispina
truncata x ephippiata
edwardsiana x burbidgea
unknown hybrid
ventricosa x maxima
thorelii x truncata - two plants with different truncata parents ....
thorelii x merrilliana
Black Dragon
ventricosa x sibuyanensis
(ventricosa x sibuyanensis) x merrilliana
Rokko x boschiana
truncata
veitchii x hurrelliana - was originally described as an outcross of two veitchii but was changed to another species ....

Hornet,

I have no seedlings at present or cuttings on the way however I thought i'd ask what species you've taken cuttings from and are they striking well? Also how are you growing your plants? What Nep's do you have? I have a fogging system on the way with my plants growing on our back deck covered by shade cloth.

Kak

Last edited:
I currently have Nepenthes alata var. boschiana, Nepenthes red dragon and Nepenthes thorelii x tobacia all seem to be striking well, some starting to throw roots and most have started producing new shoots. Baggins the cuttings seems to give best results, i tend to forget to water enough so leaving them open i tend to loose a few. For the past few years i have struck cutting in pure sphagnum moss but this season am trying a peat/perlite mix aswell which seems to be working. I grow mine in my greenhouse with orchids in fairly bright light, i dont get the best pitcher production because they get fertilized along with the orchids. I grow in either sphagnum moss or regular potting mix but then this seasons cuttings are ready to pot on i will be experimenting with some custom made mixes

Hornet,

I predominately use long fibre sphagnum moss for planting although have used cause orchid mixes, peat and perlite in the past. Are you using a misting system in your green house? Thanks for your reply.

Kak

nope just manual watering normally once a week, the mix dries out between waterings. I found the sphagnum went slimy and started breaking down so i have stopped using that for my larger plants, its only used for small rooted cuttings now

Hornet,

Thanks for the reply. Sphagnum can have a habit of going slimy however I have not had the issue yet. I believe this is due to my use of reverse osmosis water.

Kak

Hornet,

Thanks for the reply. Sphagnum can have a habit of going slimy however I have not had the issue yet. I believe this is due to my use of reverse osmosis water.

Kak

yea it doesnt like tap water, hopefully will be getting a portable ro unit for plant plants soon :)

Jumala,

You have a nice list of plants. Have you got any pics that you could post? I'd love to see some.

Kak

thanks Kak :) I've got to get some photos of mine. They are varying ages - seedlings and almost mature plants (haven't flowered yet).

I've managed to pick up a couple from the local nursery (they had them sitting in water) and from Big W believe it or not lol.

I grow most of mine in a flood and drain hydro set up essentially. Plastic guttering with a timed pump that runs from 9-3pm. The gutter means that the pitchers can hang over the side without obstruction :D I have them in pure spag moss and it doesn't go slimy. It does tend to break down a bit faster than in a normal watering system like in a shadehouse but I do shiftwork and can tend to forget to water sometimes oops :eek: So this way it means that I know they are getting watered even when I don't remember to check on them :D And it definately means I don't have to worry about my plants when I go away.

Sounds great Jumala. Could you also get a photo of your growing/watering set up? Thanks for the reply.

Kak

some of the plants - names are used as file name :)

Attachments

• sib x max peristome.jpg
    sib x max peristome.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 132
  • thorellii x truncata a.jpg
    thorellii x truncata a.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 124
  • ventricosa x sibuyensis no sun.jpg
    ventricosa x sibuyensis no sun.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 111
  • ventricosa x maxima.jpg
    ventricosa x maxima.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 128
  • ventricosa x truncata.jpg
    ventricosa x truncata.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 154
more photos. I've attached my growing set up picture. It is plastic guttering set on a slope so the water runs back into the tank :) The slope is 3 besser bricks high and the tank is a 2ft. I've got altosid in the tank for the mosquitos :p

Attachments

• growing area.jpg
    growing area.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 142
  • a - thorellii x truncata c.jpg
    a - thorellii x truncata c.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 123
  • unknown - gordonvale markets.jpg
    unknown - gordonvale markets.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 126
  • alata lantern.jpg
    alata lantern.jpg