Case studies - death of a bredli with dystocia

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

montay

Reaction score
:cry:
Dear all - happy new year - these forums are an excellent way to share case studies.
I would like to share the death of a 4 year old bredli female in our collection this week from obstructive dystocia [egg binding]. This was to be her first clutch in a 4kg healthy female.
Breeding went well, laying belly up and the usual behaviour. At around day 32, egg laying had not occured - no need to worry at this stage. Then came Christmas, vets closed for 4 days etc. Still no eggs, no interest in her lay box etc. By day 40 - boxing day - very concerned. Commenced warm baths to relax the muscles, and I could see her spurs bulging and wanting to push.
Taken to the vets as soon as they opened, where obstructive dystocia was confirmed.
The contents of the egg proximal to the cloaca were aspirated, and the first egg expressed.
Ketamine was given to relax the animal, and oxytocin and calcium to assist with contractions. A further 17 massive eggs were manually removed, with two high in the oviducts that could not be expressed manually.
Surgical removal was necessary to remove the final two eggs.
All eggs were very large. Fortum was commenced to stave off infection, and pain relief given. I took her home in the evening, where IC fluids and SC fluids were necessary due to dehydration. Recovery from the anaesphetic was unusually prolonged.
At the 24 hour mark, she began to shut down, and death became imminent. She died some hours later.
As devastating as this has been, you always try to review all husbandry factors to achieve lessons learnt.
It has been hard to find any, except for exceptionally bad luck in a primparous snake.
I wanted to share this story with you all, and welcome your similar stories.
Many thanks to the veterinary team who assisted throughout. Not a great week, of course.

Sorry to hear that Montay. Was the oviduct twisted or the eggs were too large to be normally expressed? We had a very similar case with a Scrubby some years ago with the exception that our snake lived ... less one oviduct.
Are the eggs viable?

cheers
Michael

Hi Michael - one oviduct was ruined due to rupture - no indication of twisting. They were too large to be normally expressed. Three eggs were salvaged, but the veins had already started to pull away. I incubated them in the futile hope of getting something out of this, but they began to sweat and smell and were discarded.
The coelomic cavity was washed out with saline, but I suspect that she went in shock - no discernible heart rate on palp.
A very expensive exercise, all up!
cheers

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about your loss. Thanks for sharing it even though it must have been difficult.

I wonder if this happens in the wild or if it's a mostly a problem with captive animals? I'm thinking back to the "Are we creating weaker animals through the hobby" thread and the comments Waterrat made about egg shells being harder. Is it possible that eggs can get bigger? Or could it be that captive animals have weaker muscles due to confinement?

Hi Renenet, in the wild, most animals would perish before the dystocia would be detected, so this is not known. Even the scientific data around dystocia is largely anecdotal, hence why information sharing in forums such as these can be useful.
I do suspect that inactivity in captive reptiles could be a component of this. Even providing larger cages doesn't counteract this as the python doesn't need to hunt or lead a nomadic life to mate/hunt etc. They certainly don't seek out opportunities to exercise!
All of this is possible, I guess.

Sorry about your loss.
Lots of causes for egg binding.Overweight female,lack of muscle tone,low calcium levels,too much condition on the female etc etc.I have never heard of any case were eggs that were salvaged were viable.The use of oxytocin in reptiles is debatable and calcium injections seem to be more beneficial.

Absolutely devastating news to loose a gravid female, sorrry to hear

Things will get better

Cheers
Sandee :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back