Caught These Monsters

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brettix

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Went yabbying this morning and caught these monsters only got 2.
They are a bit dirty and have lots of parasites so im going to treat them.
They look like they will turn out bright blue when they are cleaned up.
Glad my fingers didn't get in the way of these big girls.

Attachments

• pics 064.jpg
    pics 064.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 272
  • pics 061.jpg
    pics 061.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 262
Geez, I didn't know they grow that big. They are freshwater yabbies? Does that mean the ones in my 1.5ft fish tank will grow that big???

Geez, I didn't know they grow that big. They are freshwater yabbies? Does that mean the ones in my 1.5ft fish tank will grow that big???
Theres alot of different species they all grow different sizes,prob not the ones you have these have big spikes all over their tails.

Theres alot of different species they all grow different sizes,prob not the ones you have these have big spikes all over their tails.

i had a normal blue claw that got bigger then that, im not sue how big red claws get, i tried to establish a breeding olony in our dam but there must have been some blues in their still cause they all dissapeared.

H.

I love yabbying the old fashioned way (string net and a chunk of meat) I havnt done it in a fairly long time but i remember a fewtimes in my childhood catching yabbies by the bucketload. They were the smoothed body ones (like the ones in the pet shops but not blue obviously). We definatly caught some big ones maybe not quite that size but definatly comparable.

I love yabbying the old fashioned way (string net and a chunk of meat) I havnt done it in a fairly long time but i remember a fewtimes in my childhood catching yabbies by the bucketload. They were the smoothed body ones (like the ones in the pet shops but not blue obviously). We definatly caught some big ones maybe not quite that size but definatly comparable.

hahah yeah i developed a way to catch yabbies like that, what we did is we got a big ceramic pipe thing, and we'd stick the in the water and pass the fishing line with the chunk of meat down through the pipe. get a yabby grabbing it and you'd pull him in slowly till he was in the pipe and the cover the end and bring him in. :lol: though i was also a silly child who used to stick his arm down their hole and pull em out. oh so many time did i get nipped:rolleyes:

And I thought the ones I last caught were big.
Where were you when you caught those?

what's the treatment you use?
Might try mela fix as its very gentle on my fish so will try it on them.
She has a tail full of eggs so i might treat her after they hatch as i dont want to kill the eggs.

Face only a mother could love! But still very very cool. Would taste excellent on the barbie

maybe freshwater crays?

They're huge!!!!! I've never seen them that big.

i think you may find they are a type of marron.
do a seach on them. theres a few different types and they grow very big like yours.
just a guess though....may be wrong.
nice catch!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back