Caught These Monsters

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
has any one ever cought marron?? i used to water ski in an irrigation dam near harvey in south west WA. we used to get pretty big ones as a kid. i also cought a beast that was about 1 ft in nannup several years ago.

Renagade, we used to go marroning down near Dwellingup at least 3 times a year and often to other places as well. We caught one monster one year and checked out the guiness world record, wasn't even close.

i heard the legacy of the 3ft marron that was ment to exist near the pilon (deepest part) of the dam. some guy lost the outboard off his boat and went for a dive to get it. apparantly he saw 3 ft marron. i don't know if it's true or if my parents were taking the p**s out of us. i'll check out the world record and see if it stands up. thanks magpie. oh yeah... how good is dwellup. all those little towns along the blackwood river are awesome.

Went yabbying this morning and caught these monsters only got 2.
They are a bit dirty and have lots of parasites so im going to treat them.
They look like they will turn out bright blue when they are cleaned up.
Glad my fingers didn't get in the way of these big girls.

These are Spiny Crays and are protected. There are huge fines in Qld and NSW for having or collecting this species! They are an endangered species under the EPBC Act 1992
They don't also survive for long in aquariums.

Cheers.

imo they are crays, not yabbies, i didn't think yabbies have any spikes on their tails? could be wrong,
Magpies pics look like real yabbies

people who call them yabbies should be shot :p
damn nice size tho

Just for you

English

Etymology

Wemba-Wemba (Australian aboriginal language of Victoria) yabijDate:1894
Noun

yabby ( Plural: yabbies)
  1. an Australian crayfish, cheerax destructor .
  2. ( Australian ) any freshwater crayfish
Verb

yabby
  1. to search for yabbies
Derived Terms

Cherax is the largest and most widespread genus of fully and partially aquatic crayfish in the Southern Hemisphere. Its members may be found in lakes, rivers and streams across most of Australia and New Guinea. In Australia the many species of Cherax are commonly known as yabbies. The most common and widely distributed species in Australia is the common yabby (Cherax destructor). It is generally found in lowland rivers and streams, lakes, swamps and impoundments at low to medium altitude, largely within the Murray-Darling Basin. Common yabbies are found in many ephemeral waterways, and can survive dry conditions for long periods of time (at least several years) by aestivating (lying dormant) in burrows sunk deep into muddy creek and swamp beds.

Species

Thanx inks,i thought all australian crayfish were all called yabbies too.
Great info and proof.

dude they are massive although have personally caught larger down south and up north and in my suburb aswell. they also pack a punch when nipped. try not to when your catching them to get bitten. they can seriously take a couple of fingers off at once. 1 have seen atleast 5 about 1.5ft. if seen these ones that were orange/aqua and ones full red and ones full blue
jmt
matt

I am glad somebody id'd them and made this point.

Spiny crays are no longer common in the creeks and river systems of eastern Victoria where I used to encounter them. They are certainly not as common as the the old Cherax destructor.

These are Spiny Crays and are protected. There are huge fines in Qld and NSW for having or collecting this species! They are an endangered species under the EPBC Act 1992
They don't also survive for long in aquariums.

Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back