Caught wild mice...would you use them as food for you snake?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

saxon

Reaction score
A freind has one of those mouse traps that keeps mice alive. would you feed your snakes wild caught mice?

RE: Caught wild mice...would you use them as food for you sn

NO, you cant be sure they havent eaten poison, or if they have worms. dont risk it!

I know people who do it, they catch wild mice and keep them for a month or so to make sure they haven't been poisoned and then frezze them they don't have any problems.

Saying that i would never ever do it, it's not worth the risk when you can breed your own or buy them.
Theres no point trying to save a few dollars when it comes to your snakes food and heath.

Saxon,

asking a question like that around here will bring a very skewed response. I'll probably get everyone angry with me again for going against the grain and telling it as it is (having something to say which doesn't fit in with what everyone else is saying is often a bad idea around here, but putting in a redundant "I agree with everyone else" message will make you popular), but many people use wild animals. People who don't will be very happy to say "ooh no, not me, never, that's bad" but people who happily do it all the time won't admit to it in public for fear of being called irresponsible/cruel/insane/psychopathic/communist/etc/etc, which is understandable considering that around here it's likely to happen even if you just say "hello".

Having said that, no, I wouldn't do it and would recommend against it but I know many people who do and in the past have done so myself. Interestingly, to put things into perspective, Animal Attraction (Stockeh) was selling wild caught rabbits as herp food up until recently and many people including quite a few APS members were more than happy not just to use them but to pay for them. Some of these people will still be around here, but you'll find few if any will admit to it. What you read in a place like this is very different from the overall picture of what happens.

Okay, now you can all ignore that I didn't say anything good about feeding wild caught animals, change the story to "Sdaji says you should only use live wild caught animals" and tell me off. Perhaps you can call me things such as irresponsible, cruel, insane, psychopathic and communist.

Token smilies:

:lol: ;) :D :lol: ;)

you can call me things such as irresponsible, cruel, insane, psychopathic and communist
OK. Your irresponsible, cruel, insane, psychopathic and communist. (but you didn't hear it from me).

Where are the mice caught? If it is in the middle of a 200,000 acre farm and you don't use bates then maybe. But is it worth it saving $2 a feed

BTW. Just IHMO. in fact I am not even aloud to get a snake :(

Sdaji says wild caught animals are the way to go, and everyone should use them. And i bet he's using the fact that he works in a lab and has a degree to try to convince us that he knows more than everyone else and is a better person and we are not worthy.

hahahahahahahahaha :D

-H

WOW! you guys are very jealous of old Sdaji...why does he threaten you? is it the vocabulary??
There are two schools of thought. One is the no never when you can get a mouse for $1 or breed your own. The other is why not use them.
What kind of poison is neutralised by freezing? Did you mean bacteria or poison?
I have fed a bird to my diamond python that was on the road after the kids' cricket training but not there before. A fitness/aerobic lady walking past quizzed me as i scraped it onto a piece of cardboard and took it off the road. I told her that my kids were distressed by the death of an innocent Indian Mynah so i would bury it in the backyard. Fat chance lady! My python was on it before it even bounced on the floor of the enclosure..mmmmmm....tastes like chicken!
There I confessed!

hi,
i think if you make sure you feed it for awhile to make sure they have no poison in them, worm them, and freeze them, why not feed them to your reptiles, i know a friend that did this as he lived in a way out place and couldn't get food when he needed it,
before you all come down on me,
i have never done this myself as i have no need to, i have hundreds of mice and rats at any time, as we bred rodents for our local reptile owners and petshops if people do this i lose sales, lol,
but i can also see that there would be some times that people might have to do this,
when i was younger, before my reptile owning times, i used to breed wild mice with tame ones, just to see what would happen, some of the colours were great, but just imagine a normal mouse jumping around like a wild one, as you can guess, i didn't do this for long, lol,

cheers,
steve............

I have used wild mice before, but they were frozen for over 3 months. I put them in a bag with the date on them in the freezer. I have only done it a couple of times and have not done it for a couple of years now. No need to I breed my own rats and mice now. Much easier and much cheaper. :D

Brodificoum (Talon, Havoc) can be stored in fatty tissue for months.

when i caught my very first carpet i put it in a besser block cage with fly screen over the top and got a couple of eggs from the fridge to give him a good feed....he didn't eat the eggs :roll: :( Over the years i've bred mice which i just straight out hate doing,have fed field mice that somehow ended up in with normal mice,the field mouse was half the size of the cb mouse but could clear and jump out of a 20litre bucket...very fastThere are or were no posions etc in the area and in the past have often fed wild rodents such as friends that found a huge clutch of baby rats which were brought to me and my off licence jungle at the time picked em off one after the other,the snake didn't die and this happened on a few ovccasions,i didn't know about licences etc back then and just kept the sake for years till i finally realised i needed a liceence which is where my herpfever was fuled even more :) No way would i now risk it with my collection and i just buy bulk amounts of frozen rodents....I often use geckos which always do the trick for fussy feeders :wink:

Quote:

....I often use geckos which always do the trick for fussy feeders

Hey, I'm sure others have noticed this, but it was just a passing thought. Surely, in feeding a reptile (such as a gecko or skink) to another reptile (say a python) the chance for a transfer of parasites (particularly reptile specific ones) is far greater than feeding wild mammals to reptiles? Apart from the obvious risks of poison (already mentioned in previous posts), i think there would be far less risk of parasite infection if you were feeding a few wild mice to a snake than feeding it wild geckos.

That said, a few worms and protozoans can be transferred from rat to snake, so I'd still stick with the captive bred stuff!

-Henry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back