Cearulea

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just heard him croaking!! :D smaller version of the adult but quite deep all the same, plenty loud enough for me to hear easy too. I love frogs!
can a froggy person please tell me if there ismuch benefit for frogs from uvb/uva lighting or not, since they hide away from it anyway???

Oh, and forgot to say that with our cricket and Speckled feeder roach breeding, we add calcium powder and skim milk powder to the dry food that we feed to them. That way we don't have to dust them before feeding to the froggies. Cheers

instar said:
Havent seen mine do that yet, really havent seen them much at all since i got them home, too busy, but will have a look soon. Nice pics Jude ! :D dont they look great. Your tank dosent look like theres alot of places to hide? does it bother them? also how long a daily photoperiod do you give them?

It does not seem to worry them. One hides between the leaves of the rubber plants in their inclosure but their favourite spot remains on the ledge at the back of the tank. Most days they all hang out there together. :D

We have three flouros mounted in the hood. A UV one, a plant one and a normal one. 8)

The enclosure I am quite proud of. It is very low maintenance and filter in the wate works well enough to maintain the water in a crystal clear state.

The stand and recently completed hood are made from recycled red gum fence posts and looks great. :wink:

can a froggy person please tell me if there ismuch benefit for frogs from uvb/uva lighting or not, since they hide away from it anyway???

I know of big, happy, healthy caerulea which haven't seen UV for three generations, I reckon that says something. At the same time, lots of people, including one or two frog experts who I will happily admit know 100 times more about frogs than I am ever likely to, say that UV is necessary to keep them alive. Go figure! I suppose some bs has to get mixed in when you know that much about something?

caerulea are one of the few animals which I know of a UV test being done on, two lots of them kept identically except for one group having UV, the other not. Both grew at the same rate, on average, no difference was discernable. (yes, I've tried to convince the guy to publish his findings).

Im using a uva/uvb tube anyway, but they hide away. even in the wild i cant figure how they would get much. I spose if it dosent help it wont hurt either in this instance.

Yeah, I've certainly seen happy healthy froggies which get UV, it won't hurt them :)

What sort of filter would we need to get to keep the water clean please?? We have a glass container sitting in a plastic tub. The glass container has an aquarium heater in it, and the tub has a small pump which circulates the water up into the glass container(big old battery jar). The froggies make a lot of mess in the tub with their daily pooos, and we have to physically lift everything out to clean out the water containers at least once a week. Might be better if we got some sort of filter do you think? Cheers Cheryl

Cheryl, any decent filter, strong enough (keeping in mind you dont want really fast water, especially with taddys, morphs frogletts) to cope with solids will do. eheim or fluval cannister types work well with bigger tanks and are useful for making a rain chamber/or waterfall. bear in mind its the non solid waste you need be most concerned about. be sure to include chemical filtration (carbon) with any filter. a trio system, (mechanical/chemical/biological combined) is best for any aquatic life imo. Nothing beats reg part water changes for keeping the water "clean" not just clear. monitor general conditions like ammonia nitrate/nitrites and ph regularly, at least once a week, depending on density.(how many animals)
For changing water easily, constructing your tank with a drainage hole below water area works a treat. just use a peice of pvc same diametre as the drain hole (use a mesh gaurd or froggys escape) long enough to reach above the lowest desired water level. It can be siliconed inplace before hand. That way you just wack a bucket beneath, pull the plug and drain to just below desired level. Plug back then refill (always aged/dechlorinated water). Makes life much easier.
Always try to have the filter inlet at oppisit side of the outlet (or above if rain chamber) to ensure good circulation of water. Cover the inlet with fine (poo needs to get thru) soft mesh, if taddies or you'll suck em up. lol
Have fun and please try to scan pics of froggyville soon. :D

Before i start, 1st question is, Do i need a different licence to keep the GTF's than my RKL? and how much is it in nsw?
I have a 24in L x 20in H x 14in W tank and with a mesh top, is this going to be good enough for a few froggies, and i want to breed them in there too hopefully, so any suggestions would be great guns.
Cheers, Alan.

instar said:
For changing water easily, constructing your tank with a drainage hole below water area works a treat. just use a peice of pvc same diametre as the drain hole (use a mesh gaurd or froggys escape) long enough to reach above the lowest desired water level. It can be siliconed inplace before hand. That way you just wack a bucket beneath, pull the plug and drain to just below desired level. Plug back then refill (always aged/dechlorinated water). Makes life much easier.

Hi Cheryl and Instar, I have included a photo of a portion of our set up showing the drain into the bucket..When Daavid built the frog enclosure he did it so it was minimising the cleaning...as he mentioned in a previous post, the water stays crystal clear all the time. The filter he made from an used juice bottle container, works great. I am very proud of his workmanship. :D

Thats it jude! good stuff! Alan, your tank will be big enoughfor 2 or 3 frogs, but not for breeding mate, theres lots involved. you will need at least two other tanks, one will be your rain chamber (where they get funky) and you could raise taddys in it too. another will be for frogletts (shallow) big frogs eat little ones! then ofcourse youll be looking at hundreds of eggs, i.e hundreds of taddys=hundreds of frogletts,. when you decide how many you will keep, you will need additional tanks (no overcrowding ~cept in the rain chamber/no eating) to raise them.
If you want to breed you will have to either source adults or wait till their atleast 2 y.o (some say 3) before they can be safely "cycled" (cooled in snake lingo).

I have two adult green tree frogs.

One is definitly male and will start calling when I play him some froggy sounds. He also likes some peoples voices on the radio and answering machine.

The other I thought was female as it never called until today. I was doing my green tree frog impersonation and to my suprise it was the female??? that replied. She/he only called a couple of times. I then played my frog call CD but she/he didn't repond and will no longer resond to me.

SO do I have one male and a female or a male and a very shy male??.

Regards David

PS what is the best ratio of male to frmales to get GTFs to breed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back