Cearulea

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
believe me these where cane toad, they have only just arrived to the th earea around darwin and they are massive compaired to the other frogs

No worries Tommo, what do the authorities do when people start seeing cane toads in areas previously free anyway?

What did you feed them moosey? I'm pretty sure that if you only feed them captive reared insects you'll need supplements. When I was a kid I kept frogs without supplements and they were fine for years. Then after a few years without keeping frogs I got some again and went through about 6 (one at a time) within a few months, I was boggled. When I was little I went and caught insects, then when older I didn't have the time or inclination and few them commercially bred roaches. When I started using calcium they were fine.
My ex g/f worked for the victorian frog group and largely because of that I ended up seeing heaps of frogs in all stages of calcium deficiency etc (not the ones owned by her or the VFG). Sometimes you'd get a frog which was so weak/sick that it could barely move, shove calcium powder down its throat and the next day it would be fine. Without calcium, you'll see their toes twitch, and if you ignore this warning sign for too long they'll become really weak and then die. The speed of recovery from the powder is amazing.

they are "humanly euthinized" with golf clubs ;)

by next wet season they will be in darwin, they are slowly traveling around the coast off australia and most of our native animals are going to go really fast

all of you older queensland member, did you noticea dramatic decline with the snakes in your are, and which species seemed un effected

so what was your calcium regime Sdaji? do you still have them?

Tommo, What happened on the gold coast was an initial wave with a huge population and that wiped out almost everything. It used to be common to have a GTF living in a letterbox and they disappeared. After a few years the cane toad numbers thinned out and some animals have returned.

I used to clear out the back yard each night with a golf club ( the quickest and most economic way to deal with cane toads ), would take out a dozen a night.

so what was your calcium regime Sdaji? do you still have them?
Not the ones that died! ;)

I dust every feed with calcium. I might consider not using supplements if I started using wild insects, but unless I get a few full time volunteer staff, I'm not likely to bother catching them :)

I definatly have a male.....Whoohoo! my wife heard him going off this morning! Im still yet to here the little guy myself. better picslater today, both seem happy. :D

Sdaji said:
What did you feed them moosey? I'm pretty sure that if you only feed them captive reared insects you'll need supplements..

I've only kept the one frog for the time I had her. It was a little hobby of mine when keeping them was practically unheard of. I used to raise others from tadpoles but released them back to the creek I got them from when they were a bit older. The one I kept I had for 13 yrs. I lived in Brisbane then so it made the whole thing very easy! Melbourne would definately be a different story!

My GTF lived mainly on moths and whatever bug I could lay my hands on at night, so I classed it's diet as pretty close to a natural one. Canebeetles, cockroaches, mosquitoes etc - very varied diet!

Another trick is never ever use tap water with them! Always use distilled, or rainwater! I used to collect rainwater in buckets when it was raining and stored it in containers! I think the tap water, particularly Brisbane's tap water is detremental to their health in the long term!

I think hybernation is definately benefitial - mine used to, on memory, shut down for a month or so during the winter - but that was her choice, not mine lol.

It's going back awhile for me now. I was in yr 12 t school when I gave keeping them away. They are definately remarkable and well worth the effort! It's amazing what 17 yrs makes you forget though! lol

My green tree frogs will happily continue eating through winter, in Melbourne, without any heating, which I find amazing.
I used to think that fresh tap water would be bad, but all the frog people told me I was being silly and laughed at me :), so now I use it.

I'm not suprised your frogs thrived without supplements with a diet like that!

Big diet lol

My frog met the great Harry Butler! I took what I thought at the time was 'him' lol to meet Butler at a book launch at Myer in Brisbane. 10 grannies lept back on fear when I produced the frog lol Butler picked her up and had a good look over her before handing 'him' back and saying 'fine specimen of a Green Tree Frog' in which I was very delighted! She was 8 or 9 yrs old at the time. Still sad about losing that one! Damned Brisbane heatwaves! You can tell what happened!

Latest concenses seems to be that Distilled water should not be used (whites like slightly alkline water) and tap water should be declorinated and allowed to age.
Fed The little guy a cricket a while ago. Boy did he go it, CRIKEY! lol nearly ate the tweezers too lol :D

instar said:
Latest concenses seems to be that Distilled water should not be used (whites like slightly alkline water) and tap water should be declorinated and allowed to age.
Fed The little guy a cricket a while ago. Boy did he go it, CRIKEY! lol nearly ate the tweezers too lol :D

Interesting about the Distilled water, but each to their own. I won't suggest anything new should be ignored or is wrong. I had a very sucessful run with GTF's but I'm sure there are others with the same sort of sucess & a better understanding than I.

& yes, they have an awesome attack on things when they are feeling hungry! I love the way they use their webbed feet/ hands to stuff it all in :D :wink:

Heres a nice one showing her speckles, his are finer. Soon as i work out how best to use the new cam pics will be better. seems to be taking a really long time to upload.
fand_f2.jpg

instar said:

Hi Instar, Glad you are having fun! The frogs enjoy hopping/leaping after their food too, if you just drop their food in the terrarium or enclosure. :)

I have included 3 more pictures taken throughout the years of our little guys. On the top photo you will see what I mean by drinking through their bums. :wink:

Cheers, Jude

Havent seen mine do that yet, really havent seen them much at all since i got them home, too busy, but will have a look soon. Nice pics Jude ! :D dont they look great. Your tank dosent look like theres alot of places to hide? does it bother them? also how long a daily photoperiod do you give them?

They are cool!

I used to do roadtrips (for work) to Shoalwater bay, and on the way we would stop in rockhampton and stay at one of the army reserve depots there. In the toilets/showers and anywhere else moist, this place was plagued by the beautiful little critters. Going to the toilet was a mission in itself as you would have to remove the critters or you would get a funny headbutting in all the wrong places.LOL also, the shower block would be dry, but after the first shower they would come out of the drains like a battalion of marching soldiers, literally hundreds of them all over the shower floors..lol And night time was just as funny, you would end up being woken up atleast 5-10 times a night by falling frogs landing on you in your sleep. I havent been there for about 2 years and i wonder if the population is bigger or hopefully not, smaller.

Anyways, just a little story about our green friends.

Cheers, Alan.

P.s, a mate had a pic taken with one looking out of his mouth, and the unspeakable happened, yep, he copped a mouth full of green tree frog pee. LOL

LOl, they really squirt it out too! i saw the female do it. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back