Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nobody seems to understand that this was never about stressing out the snake
It was about deliberately provoking a wild animal into reacting in such a way as to make it appear much more dangerous than they really are
There is zero educational use for this video

As I said earlier if it was Bear Grills or anyone else doing this you would be screaming your heads off
I found the video quite educating, it showed me a rarely seen "behind the scenes" view of a wild elapid photo shoot

I found the video quite educating, it showed me a rarely seen "behind the scenes" view of a wild elapid photo shoot

I agree with this.

But I also agree with some things longpi is saying. We shouldn't be encouraging every Tom, Dick and Harry to do this. As well as that portraying Eastern Browns in these poses gives the species a bad light.

But I still think there is potential value in these pictures. One could show one to your average Joe as an educational thing labelling it as an EB bluff stance. Saying that when an EB is doing this it is feeling threatened, that you should move off and leave it alone. That is helping to break the general view of EBs being highly agressive and chasing people.

I personally don't see the point really. You can get some great elapid shots without all the hoo haa ( Matt Summerville's pics for example), but there's a bit of showman in every elapid keeper:)! Maybe that's why some of us get bitten ?!

In terms of vids on vens, I much prefer ssssnakemans (Barry) approach.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey geckophotographer

tony just contacted me and told me this about his camera
the canon 7 d traces its subject. thats why he bought it and thats how it focuses. allows him to get fast moving shots and perfect for these situations

Ok so to those who doubted what these photos would come out like tony sent me some of them that he got from the session

More things about his camera, it takes 8 photos a second. It has 19 focul points and it will track a moving target. Thats why he bought it and gecko, he throws a majority away

Attachments

• tony 2.jpg
    tony 2.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 86
  • tony 1.jpg
    tony 1.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 95
  • tony 3.jpg
    tony 3.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 83
  • i want room 1026 again.jpg
    i want room 1026 again.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:
Hey geckophotographer

tony just contacted me and told me this about his camera
the canon 7 d traces its subject. thats why he bought it and thats how it focuses. allows him to get fast moving shots and perfect for these situations

Ok so to those who doubted what these photos would come out like tony sent me some of them that he got from the session

More things about his camera, it takes 8 photos a second. It has 19 focul points and it will track a moving target. Thats why he bought it and gecko, he throws a majority away

me like

They are nice.

Yeah I have been using the Canon 5D for a few months now and it also supposedly can track the subject. However I haven't had much luck with this mode, maybe I'm just doing it wrong.

They are nice pictures and some are even about as sharp as you might think you could get them, others might have been sharper under normal focusing but they are still bloody good.

Thanks and thanks to Tony for allowing us to look at these amazing images here. I guess I'll have to go find me an EB to play around with this mode (JKing I'll try it with an active skink or something, much safer).

As I said earlier if it was Bear Grills or anyone else doing this you would be screaming your heads off

Bear Grylls would have clubbed it and eaten it for a start ;)

This is clearly a one-off photoshoot with one snake (and then it's obviously released). The educational value of these photos is one that they portray a very typical defensive stance should anyone startle or corner a wild eastern brown. I don't know what the whoo-har is all about? A captive eastern brown will only continue putting on a show like this for a limited duration anyway as they settle down quite fast in captivity (hence the reasons plenty of people running snake shows turn them over and obtain new ones). Like I said earlier, the only one in harms way is the photographer.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/user/goldcoastsnakeshows#p/u/2/Jk0GrL6uf74[/video]

OMG now ian is harassing him :O

GO!! TONY!!!!

Ah I see haha. That is actually a really good explanation video. It's just a shame that he felt he had to make it at all though.
Anyone in contact with him I think they should request he come down to Sydney to give us a show. He seems like someone who would be really cool to meet and learn from

Ah I see haha. That is actually a really good explanation video. It's just a shame that he felt he had to make it at all though.
Anyone in contact with him I think they should request he come down to Sydney to give us a show. He seems like someone who would be really cool to meet and learn from
yes i soooo wanna meet him :D

yeh he does great shows and goes through all this thoroughly
i doubt he would go all the way down there but wash a fair bit of money to him and im sure he could someday ahah

yes i soooo wanna meet him :D

So glad to see a young kid like you tassie, im lucky enough to know him and he does his job really well and has a genuine passion for reptiles as you could see in this video
He doesnt want keyboard bandits talking crap and as you can see others on here agree with ton but then you get the people that are either stubbon or " never wrong" in their mind

Tony presented at the Gold Coast Reptile Expo earlier this year. He did a great show (apart from one dropped Elapid :p) and had a great selection of animals for people to get up close and personal with. Seemed very knowledgeable and had real passion for what he did.

Tony presented at the Gold Coast Reptile Expo earlier this year. He did a great show (apart from one dropped Elapid :p) and had a great selection of animals for people to get up close and personal with. Seemed very knowledgeable and had real passion for what he did.

yeh i was lucky enough i got to help him out and hold crocs, lizards, monitors and snakes for the little kids to pat and look at
Twas an awesome expo

yeh he does great shows and goes through all this thoroughly
i doubt he would go all the way down there but wash a fair bit of money to him and im sure he could someday ahah

So glad to see a young kid like you tassie, im lucky enough to know him and he does his job really well and has a genuine passion for reptiles as you could see in this video
He doesnt want keyboard bandits talking crap and as you can see others on here agree with ton but then you get the people that are either stubbon or " never wrong" in their mind

hehe :D i have watched every vid :D

Good to see that he explained why the shots were taken

Cant say I completely agree with the reasoning
But any explanation is better than none

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back