Chat Channel

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Would you like to see the chat channel back?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

cwarren72

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys and Gals,
I am wondering if anyone can tell me what ever happened to the chat channel that used to be in here. It is a shame to see it gone as it was an excellent place to further discussions instead of having to wait for replys in threads.....

neither did i but i posted yes lol sounds good

It used to be excellent. You could go in and gas bag about anything. It was good also because it would save so many arguments in regards to silly threads.

Might stop the gas bagging in the forums a bit.
Only problem (as before) is peoples behaviour, & the admins can't moderate it.

yeah that is true but you can add in an Auto mod program that looks for set words. Also all you really need to do is have a similar thing as they have now in threads where if someone over steps the bounds you just simply send the mods an PM reporting them and the content of the complaint..... It would be a shame for all the good members of this site lose out just because of a bad few...

oh ok, sounds alright but there are heaps of members these days so it might go too fast.

The main problem I have is, as it has been outlined, moderation.

Mods cop enough flack for what goes on in forums and even private messaging. Here we retain a little bit of control but in a chat room we can't do that (we can't man the chat all the time).

That said, I will definately discuss it with the Mods - I am open to all ideas so long as they are managable by them :)

MODS:
Maybe APS could start a room, let it run its course over a 2 week period & the mods can see what members are the most active in there & choose who they feel would make good candidates as Op's? Perhaps even a "chat room warning" that all problems are to be reported to such & such operators and that APS forum mods have chosen these ops for that specific area, so they are in no way responsible for dealing with any problems stemming from the chat client, the Op's will resort any issues? (if mods thought this would be an easier option)

Could also make the room members only, where 1 must join the chatroom with a username & password. Would make it alot easier to keep any un-wanted people or trolls out, along with spammers & other lurkers looking for attention or trouble.

MEMBERS:
Could always start our own chat room using an IRC program and ask mods if they would be willing to link it on their site? But then there would be no affiliation or moderation from APS & members would still feel inclined to PM a mod if any istances arise or blame APS admin if problems .

Last edited:
I'd prefer to maintain control (in terms of user authentication) if there is a chat room associated with the site. That said, I have been investigating using the "FlashChat" system, however am waiting on a decision from the Mods as to how they want to proceed.

If we were to have a chat room I would ask that peoples age be displayed so that we would no the age of persons in the chat room and adjust our chat accordingly.

Mayo has a great point,
Not that chat would ever be a sexual or derogative nature.
But would give an indication as to the age of members we are talking to with topics like smoking, drinking or perhaps night clubbing etc. and a chance to change our discussions accordingly even though majority of chat would be reptile related I would imagine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back